Why is Toshiba Video Player so problematic?

I bought a new laptop a few weeks ago and Toshiba Video Player is giving me no end of problems.

When I play any DVD, sometimes the player will just freeze. It won't play anything. Then I'll close it, and wait for a few seconds, and then I'll try re-opening the player, but it doesn't open for a few minutes. When it finally opens, it plays for a little bit, then it'll freeze again.

I've tried closing all programs before starting the player, but that doesn't work either. The DVDs I play are in good condition - by that I mean they don't skip.

I have no other players with which to play DVDs. Please help. Thanks.

Comments

• There could be some incompatibilities. Are you playing commercial DVDs, home-made DVDs or both? Are you trying to play Blue-Ray disks?

If you open the DVD Player in the upper right corner you'll see some icons. The wrench is "Settings". You can open "Settings" and see if something jumps out at you (it's a figure of speech), see if there's something that should be changed - or, if your like most of us, you won't know what most of what you are looking at does:-)

Click the Question mark (Help) icon and a whole page will open with text and links. There are links for compatible disk formats and compatible video formats. On the left side are some links. The important information link emphasizes that while using the player, other applications should be closed and you shouldn't be opening and closing apps. (I don't turn off my antivirus while using the player but, if I'm watching a DVD, I don't do anything else with the computer - mostly because I'm watching the movie:-)

• Toshiba Video Player

• You can try some other DVD player and have a look if it can work well. I have BlazeDVD on my computer, it is not only free, but also can player DVD bought in different countries. Have a try, hope it can end your trouble.

• Might I suggest you download and install VideoLan VLC Media Player, my young friend. It's FREE and comes with many inbuilt codecs, which will allow you to play virtually any audio or video file that you care to throw at it.