Do people see rhythm guitarists as "real" guitarists?

Sometimes I get the feeling you have to play like Van Halen for people to even really want to listen, or to count you as a "real" guitarist who's actually accomplished something. Thoughts?

Comments

• I do just because someone is not the lead does not make them any less important. Actually I think in a way rhythm guitarists have a much more important role they help pick up the lead lead guitarist. There have been some really important rhythm guitarists in the business. The original lineup for Guns N Roses, the Beatles, the Cure s original lineup. The list goes on. If someone thinks this than they maybe need to look inwards. But everyone in a band has a specific role they need to fulfill. A band has to have its specific parts working together the right way. If something is off it can skew things.

• Uh, yeah! If they can play a guitar, they're a real guitarist. One doesn't need to be able to replicate "Free Bird" perfectly in order to be a real guitarist. That's a bunch of dopey, child talk. Sounds like something a music elitist would say.

• Have you even heard a shredder without backup? It's just horrible noise. Lead guitar just sounds better with some rhythm behind it.

• Anyone who can play decently and appreciates the instrument is a real guitarist

• Absolutely (well I do). Funny you mention EVH, I actually prefer his rhythm playing over his solos and everything else