Is Cynthia's monologue from A Girl's Guide to Chaos a good choice?

I am auditioning to get into the theatre programs in college and I need to perform a comedic and a dramatic monologue to get in. I need to do two auditions, and one of the college websites gave a list of suggested plays to take a monologue from, on which was A Girl's Guide to Chaos. The other school that I am auditioning for did not do the same thing, however. I really like the monologue, I'm just wondering if it would be appropriate to perform this for a college audition monologue because it briefly mentions getting laid. Do you think I should stick with this monologue, should I edit those brief lines out, or should I just look for another one? My audition is coming up next month so I want to have a monologue soon so I can be very well prepared for my audition. Thanks!

Here is the monologue:

The realization hits me heavily, like a .44 Magnum smashing into my skull. My heart starts beating with a quick dread and my blood freezes in my veins. My stomach does backflips. The ordeal I am about to face is one of the most chilling, grisly, and macabre experiences known to woman.

Dating. I will have to start dating again.

Please, God, no, don't make me do it! I'll be good from now on, I promise! I'll stop feeding the dog hashish! I'll be kind, thoughtful, sober, industrious, anything. But please, God, not the ultimate torture of dating.

That's why I stayed with him for so long, probably. I couldn't stand going through it all again. Sure, he might be a trifle wild and intractable, I kept telling myself, but at least I know I'll get laid tonight, and tomorrow night. At least someone will go to the movies with me and not try to hold my hand.

Hand-holding. The WORST thing about dating. It's the most nerve-wrecking experience! Once I start holding hands, I'm afraid to stop. If I pull my hand away, will he think I'm being cold, or moody? Should I squeeze his hand and kind of wiggle my fingers around suggestively? Or is that too forward? What if my hand is clammy? A clammy hand is more offensive than bad breath or right-wing politics! A clammy hand means you're a lousy lay! Everybody knows that!

And what, dear spiteful God, will I wear?

Comments

• It all depends on your age and type really. Generally monologues should be age, gender and experience appropriate (for college auditions). I'm assuming you're around 18 if you're auditioning for college. In this case I would assume it would be ok. If you really like this monologue and feel that you perform it well then I would say that it is definitely a good idea. It is best to go with what feels comfortable to you so that you can be confident.

I recently went to a talk with one of the people who picks people for all the performing arts related courses at a certain university and he gave the advice that, even if your monologue is risky, if you perform it well enough he would still pick you.

Hope this helps.

• For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/ax6Qs

erm OK - I'll do Girl guides

• I would be interested in knowing more on this too