How do you describe a photo which is NOT Polaroid?

I have to fill up an application form and attach my photograph on it

The rules & regulations on the application form say that i should avoid using a polaroid photo and a photo whose background is white, light and fancy. I don't understand.

So my photo should be actually what kind then? should i take a print out of my photo on a thin paper or something using my printer or what?

Update:

@fotoace

But i already have a photo with a dark blue background and its a little thick in size and looks like its made with plastic but its not really plastic but some hard paper and the photo shines a little bit if i keep it under light, can i attach this photo, is this photo called as a Polaroid or non Polaroid. I dont have any idea about what is called as Polaroid

Comments

• Since you don't know what a Polaroid is, chances are good you don't even have one. Don't worry about violating that part of their application process. There are different sizes and types of Polaroid film; the vast majority are 'instant' films taken with a special camera (again, Polaroid). This application is probably from the days when models and actors would try to submit headshots using crappy instant shots instead of real sheets. My guess would be that they want you photographed in front of something medium to dark in tone and not too busy ('fancy'). That means they don't want to see you posed in front of backlit lace, against a brick wall, or in front of a rose shrub. They'd like you photographed in front of a simple background paper (mid-tone) and the print done on standard print paper (8x10?). If you're confused about the type of paper they're referring to, think about the paper your high school photos were done on, your parent's wedding pictures, or even the paper they print on in the box store's photo lab. Traditional photo paper. NOT Polaroid stock.