Math Problem! Math Geeks come!?

ok, so i have a question about this problem so if you could answer it and tell me how you got it that would be great! so here it is

"Compare Powers"

Which is greater:

(a) 2 1 or 1 2 ?

(b) 3 2 or 2 3 ?

(c) 4 3 or 3 4 ?

(d) 7 6 or 6 7 ?

Predict the greater of any two positive integers that follow this pattern.

(BTW the second number of the pair like 2 1 ,1 is supposed to be an exponent)

i got the a,b,c and d but i don't get the part after it. so, if you can help me thanks!

Comments

• (The usual way of indicating exponents, without special characters, is a^b.)

(a) 2^1 or 1^2 ?

For bases (the numbers that get raised to various powers) that are greater than 1, a larger exponent tends to show where the larger number is. If the bases and exponents are not close to each other, this will not always be true: 3^7 is greater than 7^3, for instance. If they are close, however, bet on the larger exponent.

1^x is a special case: 1 to any power is just 1, so 2^1 > 1^2. (2 > 1.)

(b) 3^2 or 2^3 ?

3^2 = 9; 2^3 = 8, so 3^2 > 2^3.

With small bases, y=x^2 can be larger than y=x^3.

(c) 4^3 or 3^4 ?

4^3 = 64; 3^4 = 81, so 4^3 < 3^4.

y=x^4 increases notably more rapidly than y=x^3 when x>1.

(d) 7^6 or 6^7 ?

7^6 = 117,649; 6^7 = 279,936, so 7^6 < 6^7.

y=x^6 increases rather rapidly, but y=x^7 increases even more rapidly.

When the bases (call them a and b) are larger than 2 and 3, you can count on a^b being less than b^a.

• a) 2^1 > 1^2

b) 3 ^2 > 2^3

c) 4^3 > 3^4

d) 7^6 >6^7

The first of the pair will be greater

• contained in the branch of preparation at UR college, student files recommend that the inhabitants of scholars spends an conventional of 6.60 hours a week playing prepared events. The inhabitants s familiar deviation is 3.00 hours a week. in accordance with a pattern of 40 9 scholars, healthful existence coated (HLI) might want to favor to practice the imperative decrease theorem to make quite some estimates. (a) what's the chance HLI will hit upon a pattern recommend between 5.9 and seven.3 hours? (round z and classic blunders values to 2 decimal places and extremely last answer to 4 decimal places.) (b) Calculate the possibility that the pattern recommend will be between 6.2 and seven hours. (round z and classic blunders values to 2 decimal places and extremely last answer to 4 decimal places.