Do dogs cry real tears?

Okay, I know this is a stupid question but can dogs cry with emotions? Cause I have a chihuahua, and when I play and stroke/cuddle him lightly, I will see tears [Usally one or two drops] coming out of his eyes and dripping onto the floor. So what does this mean? Or is it just the regular cleaning system of his eyes? Thx! ^^

Comments

• No they don't. My dog does occasionally have tears come from his eyes but it is normal. You will often see eye buggers around their eyes the liquid is most likely coming from that but it shouldn't be a problem. At worst she might have allergies so when you have the time I would take to the vet to see if she has them.

• I know I'm late to this debate but I, like captain Krunch do believe that some dogs cry. I too have a Chihuahua who cries. She will cry if I scold her, when my husband leaves for work, when she gets a shot, and many other things set her off. Have taken her to vet numerous times thinking there is something wrong with her eyes but they can't find anything. She also smiles like you see videos of dogs do. She smiles when we come home or give her a treat or new toy.

• Yes, I have been told by many vets that Chihuahuas are THE only dogs that cry real tears. I have 2 chis and one has separation anxiety very bad. She is an older girl but if I get out of her site she will throw her head back and start to howl. When I go to pick her up, there are tears in her eyes! She cries only when shes upset. Thanks!

• Dogs don't cry emotional tears. Many small dogs have problems with their tearing. You can ask your vet about excessive tearing. There are many different causes and, of course, different cures.

• Dogs can't cry in the same way as humans do, if your dog's eyes are watering, there may be something wrong, you should take him to the vet.