please critique my photos (Links to Photos included)?

Comments

• That cloud pix is GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!

enlarge it and hang it on the living room wall.

the lizzard in the aquarium, look before clicking and fix what you don't like, especially on pix's you can take in a few minutes, clean the aquarium glass. tree branch pix in good. don't give up. I started photography in high school, got photog scholarship to collage. goooood luck.

P.S. I'm 61 yrs young and still learning.

• I liked the first two. But they lack depth. And no, not depth of field. I mean depth of scope. A pink sky is an atmospheric phenomenon, though pretty, isn't very interesting. The second has a theme, which is totally missed in its presentation. There is nothing around it to distinguish it from its environment. It's dead center of frame, which amplifies just how uninteresting it is. But, I loved the theme, which I believe to be poignant because I'm an ex-smoker. The rest do not warrant any attention for critique. You need to learn and practice some basic compositional techniques. Learn to create a story within your composition, give the viewer a reason to look at it, and a pay off. There are rules. Though rules are meant to be broken more than followed, they are still fundamental, and should be learned before they can be disregarded. People break rules all the time, but you have to understand why to break it before you do. You don't even know them, hence why I recommend you read up on it. At 14, you show potential in that you clearly define your subject, which is important, your interest in the art form, and your eagerness to take criticism shows that you are serious, which I can respect. So, there are a few books I will recommend to you in the source portion of this answer. They are written by well known authors and are not expensive. They will deal heavy with the technical aspect along with the aesthetic quality of compositional license. Read them. Then, read them again. Looking at the image properties from your dA page, I see your camera is a very capable model. Learn it. Read your owner's manual. Learn about the mechanics of your camera, learn about the optics. All of that, over time, will afford you the knowledge and experience to grow in your love of photography. This I can say from personal experience. Good luck to you.

• 1. Its cool, but a bit too dark, should have more contrast.

2. Plain, ordinary.

3. Nice, decent, its fine, but wouldn't set it as my wallpaper.

4. Really pretty, love it.

5. Lose the glass that blocks you from the animal.

Good luck!

P.S. Check out my photography: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25798760@N05/

• They're alright. Keep practicing. The one with the snow-covered branch is pretty interesting!