How can I make a decent salary as a seamstress?

I am taking sewing classes next month and would like to pursue the trade. What career options do I have? Any ideas would be helpful.

Comments

• I agree with the other posters that suggested alterations, especially formal attire.

Other ideas, do you have a theater near you that you could help with wardrobe design? Also, sewing patches on uniforms is a good steady income. Check with your local police, corrections, fire, and rescue agencies.

If you have the room in your home, you could do custom sewing and design. I know a lady that is retired from factory sewing work (they all moved overseas). She has more work than she wants, she is good, that's why!

Good luck.

• You could do alterations; there is good money in that. My wedding dress cost about $250 to get altered. The woman who did it specialized in wedding attire, and got most of her business by word of mouth. Her advertising costs were very low, and she worked out of her home.

• Custom made wedding dresses. Be your own boss or hire on with a tailor shop.

Fashion design.