Laptop audio driver issue?

I've had this issue over the past few days. It's starting to get worse. I plug in my external Bose speakers via the audio port on my Gateway laptop. Once I start playing the music, the audio starts coming through the external Bose speakers as I intended. But, after 2-3 seconds, the music starts coming out through my laptop speakers. I wiggle the speaker jack around in the port a little bit to see if it makes a difference but nothing usually happens.

I have read solutions such as reinstalling the audio driver and buying a new sound card but I am not sure if these solutions apply to my problem.

What can I do to solve this problem?

Comments

• Even though wiggling the jack did not seem to make a difference, this sounds like a hardware defect with the jack sensor. This is unbelievably common. Unless you are willing to get it repaired or you are good with fixing things yourself and you can solder, there is not much else you can do other than get a USB sound device and plug it in through there. You would then need to disable the on-board sound and set the USB sound as the default.

If this is a hardware problem then no amount of tweaking the software will help.

You could try unplugging and plugging in the speaker jack repeatedly in the hopes of making the jack sensor work again. I don't know how it works or why it would fail after initially working for a little bit, but I'm certain that you cannot select between laptop and external with the software, so I just know it has to be a hardware issue.

• I would try removing and re-installing the latest driver for your audio (doesnt cost anything) if that doesnt work, then chances are, the audio section of the motherboard is on its way out.