Is my dojo (Z Ultimate Self Defense Studios) a mcdojo?

I have been training at Z Ultimate Self Defense studios for about a year now and I just earned my purple belt. My friend has been training Brazilian Jujitsu for 5 years and he kicks my *** every time. I am 16 and have gotten into my fair share of fights and I always feel I have not been being taught properly how to fight, sparring and on the street. So because of my last test I have become skeptical. I have been researching and have come across the term "mcdojo". And many of the the things described line up. My dojo offers a black belt club for some outrageous price, there is a girl who is about 7 with a green with brown stripe belt, the tuition is about 170$ a month and belt test prices are 75$ . I'm almost certain Z Ultimate is a mcdojo. I signed up expecting to get my butt kicked, working hard every class and progressing through the ranks very slowly. I want to continue in martial arts but I am conflicted about which form I should take. Any advice would help!! Thanks!!

Comments

• Yes, Z Ultimate is a McDojo. They were founded by some people (led by a guy named Paul Taylor) who used to be with a school named United Studios of Self Defense. When Z Ultimate was formed, they made a bunch of false claims, like how supposedly Charles Matera (the head of USSD) had retired (he didn't) and that they were USSD's legitimate successor (they're not).

• Yes.

I trained and taught at their source school before they splintered, and while I will not judge Kempo as a whole based on their schools, I can tell you first-hand that Z Ultimate is a McDojo. Luckily, it didn't take me long to figure this out - I was already a black belt in two other systems prior to training there, and only did so out of convenience of location. When a better school subsequently opened in my area, I switched immediately.

To put it in perspective, and to add to your point in being bilked, I was an assistant teacher at this location before I quit. I was paying my monthly tuition, paying with my time by teaching, and then paying again to attend their "instructors college", to say nothing of the time and gas used to travel there. When I realized I was paying them THREE TIMES, that's when I knew to quit. Like I said, luckily, I was only in for a couple of months before reaching this conclusion.

Z Ultimate is prevalent in southern California these days. If you are in this area, let me know and I may be able to help you find a school nearby based on your criteria.

Good luck to you.