Do insurance companies write checks for payment?

So my wife scraped the front side panel of our car against a fence :(

Our deductible is $500. I know I can fix it for about $500 myself... if not less.

The problem is I don't have the $500 to use for the deductible.

So if I go and get a few estimates, would the insurance company write me a check for the amount minus the $500 deductible? Or would they want to pay the body shop directly?

I'm guessing the estimate would probably be $800-$1000. So after they subtract the deductible, that would leave me with enough money to buy the panel myself, and possibly just pay a shop to paint it.

I just don't know if it'appropriatete to ask for a check. I kind of feel like it would be considered insurance fraud if I give them an estimate but don't plan on taking the car to get rapaired at that shop.

I know they have their own shops that they like to use. But I would get the estimate(s) at different shops.

I have AAA btw.

Comments

• Usually insurance companies make the check out to the body shop AND you. That way you're forced to get the car repaired at that shop because that's whose name is on the check.

• They used to write the check out to you, and you had the choice of having it fixed or pocketing the money in exchange for the reduced value of the damaged cars. They have gotten away from that due to fraud and now generally write the check out to you and the shop jointly.

You can get the estimate wherever you want, the company will have an adjuster review the estimate and negotiate the repair price with the shop.

If you have a buddy who owns a body shop he might be willing to work with you about turning it in for the full repair but allowing you to do some of the work yourself to avoid the deductible, but it's money out of his pocket so there won't be much motivation to do this.

• They'll write the check for the estimate minus the deductible. They'll send an adjuster and do their OWN estimate, and if you ask for a check directly, they'll seriously lowball the estimate.

If there's a loan on the car, the check gets made out jointly to you and the lender.

Look, you're better off going to a body shop and getting a real estimate before you file that claim. It WILL count as an "at fault" accident on your wife's record, AND, if she has two or more at fault accidents, in most states, they can cancel your insurance.