Why do all my portrait pictures?

where I'm not smiling as nicely or not smiling at all have bad lighting to them, whereas my portraits where I'm smiling nicely have perfect lighting? Do professional photographers make more effort to make portraits come out nicely for their subjects that are smiling nicely than their subjects who don't smile nicely or don't smile at all?

The reason why I ask this is because on every single picture where I'm not smiling or not smiling nicely, have bad lighting to them, whereas the portraits where I smiled nicely have perfect lighting. It just seems that professional photographers make more effort to make a portrait come out nicely if the subject smiled nicely and is fixed up nicely than for the subject who didn''t smile as nice or didn't smile at all.

Comments

• Maybe the photographer isn't as "professional" as you think? The client should get what they paid for, not some slack job all because of a subject that didn't smile.

Jonathan Uriah Denney

Uriah Gallery

• Professional photographers get the lighting right whatever the facial expression of the client.

If they aren't capable of doing so, then they're not professional photographers.

• If you aren't smiling and they brighten it, it looks a little funny, Smiles are naturally brightening.

• First world problem!

If only we all had such a though dilemmas, we would all be very happy...