Car Crash, No insurance????/?

I had a car crash yesterday, it wasn't bad, I had insurance back in april, and may, but couldn't pay the bill,for june and July, and the insurace got canceled. Am I going to get my liscense suspended, when I report it to the Police station?

Comments

• No, the Police do not suspend licenses. If the accident is reported to the Secretary of State/DMV, of if you have to appear in court, then your license will be suspended, and you will be required to obtain SR22 insurance.

• Assuming you are in the UK. You have not stated the circumstances of the accident so I can't give opinion, however you should refer to the Highway code and decide which if any of the drivers were in breach. If the insurance companies have contradictory statements from the two drivers and no independent witnesses and if the impact damage can be explained by either explanation then they will put forward an offer to apportion blame (this is NOT a no blame accident as is referred to above). You are free to accept this, however if you feel that the other driver was more at fault than you then you can get your insurance company to propose a 75-25 settlement in your favour. Of course if you feel strongly then you can ask your insurer to deny any liability - are you making a claim for your excess etc from the other driver? The insurance company have to balance out the chances of winning against the extra costs involved. You must remember that your insurance company does not want to pay out any more than is necessary, so will always try and get the best settlement they can - something that people in your position tend to forget! Now for the results of a partial settlement. Both you and the other driver will lose part of their no claims bonus (or lose a life on their protected bonus policy) in accordance with the policy wording - this is because both of you have put in a claim on your policy (for indemnity under the third party section as well as, presumably, damage to your vehicles.) If the claim is settled 50-50 then your insurance company will pay 50% of the losses suffered by the other driver and the other driver's insurance company will pay 50% of the losses you have suffered. Please note that these two values will most likely be different - depending on the extent of damage caused. Similarly you may claim 50% of your uninsured losses against the other driver and he/she may claim 50% of their losses against you (which I assume you would have your insurance company pay). Even if you pay for your own repairs in full, it will not affect the right of the other driver to claim against you - the only way you can save your no claims bonus is to pay for the costs of your own insurance company (which includes 50% of the costs to the other driver).

• The police didn't respond to the scene???? You should call them no matter how minor it is. If that person you hit sues you,you're screwed.No insurance to cover the lawsuit.If an officer came,then you'd have a statement from the other party stating any injuries they may have,but without a statement,they can come to you anytime saying,"aw,my neck hurts!" In NH where I am,if you get in anaccident without insurance, they make you get an SR22,but you don't lose your licence.You should NEVER drive without insurance!An accident can financially ruin you.You will be paying on that for a long time,especially if there were injuries that required extensive medical care,or if you have to buy someone a new car,and if you don't pay,they can sue you.Good Luck!Hopefully for your sake no one was hurt.

• Most states require that drivers have car insurance. And if drivers don't, they will have their licenses suspended until they fulfill all license, registration, and driving requirements.

Plus, it's unfair to have drivers without licenses driving around. A couple of years ago, a woman without insurance hit my car. Yeah, she was saying that the accident wasn't that bad, because she dented my bumper. But the body shop said that she did $3,000 worth of damage. It turns out that she only got insurance to purchase her van and then stop paying the insurance premiums. My insurance company had to hunt her down to make her pay for the damage that she did to my car.

• I know it seems like driving is a right but its not. Its a privilege, if you cant afford it for a month then park your car, and get a bus pass.

yes you were driving illegaly so your lisence will be suspended. FYI the insurance co. informs the state anytime insurance is cancelled, at this time you are supposed to turn over your lisence plate..

• Where you caught by the police when driving without a licence? If not don't worry you can keep your licence. What do you want to report at the police station? I had a crash and had no insurance? Why would you want to do that?

Don't ever drive without insurance. If you can't afford paying the premium, you can't afford driving a car. If I were a policeman and caught you driving around without insurance I would get you life imprisonment. You are lucky, I am not a policeman and you will never get life for driving around without insurance.

Please use your brains and never ever drive around uninsured.

• go online and pay ur insurance ASAP!! most likely it was just accumulating interest, but if u bring it up to date they may pay for ur damage as well as the other car, if u r at fault... if an accident is less than $750 in the state of CA u DO NOT have to report it to the DMV anyway... i got into a car accident yesterday too... good luck!

• Jennifer,

Some insurance companies require you to pay a month ahead on premiums, so possibly if your last payment was in May, you could still be covered. Just turn it in and see what happens.

If you are not covered, the person you hit may have uninsured coverage, they will cover them and the damages, but they will sue you for the cost, court fees, lawyer, any medical, any car rental, wages lost, etc.

You better give up something to keep your insurance or you will lose your license, and as you see, it is cheaper than NOT having coverage.

• maybe the police should of caught you before your accident, having your car impounded will be cheaper then what its gonna cost you for this accident. i know how hard it is to try and keep car insurance i drove about 6months with none until i got stopped and the cop asked for it, i lied my *** off and got away with a ticket for inattentive driving. liability on a car isn't so expensive or do you have someone like parents who could help ya out a bit? good luck!

• Don't worry about losing your license. You can't afford a car to drive anyway. You are PERSONALLY liable for damage to ALL the property you hit. If you don't think you can afford insurance, you certainly can't afford that.

PS. Nearly every US state WILL suspend your license for driving without insurance.