Can I use a universal power supply from Australia to power a record player from America?

Ok, I've seen a record player I want to buy in San Francisco. The player itself has an 12V input and comes with a seperate power supply that says Input: 110V, Output: 12V.

Perfect!

Now, if I want to use the record player in Australia, our outlets are 240v. Can I simply replace the supplied power supply with my own universal power supply from Australia and just set the power supply to 12V output and attach the appropriate tip to fit the record player. As far as I understand this universal power supply should eliminate the need for a plug adaptor or a voltage converter as it should have an input of 240v and output 12v. Am I right?

My only concern now is the Hertz

USA is 60hz

Aus is 50hz

Comments

• I've a good quality Sony deck with 12V input so if you get a 240V to 12V power supply with enough current (the current rating will probably be on the deck next to the voltage). Make sure the power supply is a regulated one and not an unregulated one. Hertz doesn't matter, the power supply takes care of it and the turntable will have a DC speed regulated drive motor.

• Yes you can,

Since the player uses 12V, it will be 12VDC, and that doesn't care what mains voltage or frequency you have.

Just get a compatible adapter and you are good.

But that class of player is considered a toy to audio enthusiasts.

A proper turntable will use a synchronous motor (which you need a transformer for voltage, and to change the pulley for frequency) or is direct drive (just a transformer- Direct drive is computer controlled DC).

• Yes you can. 12vdc is the output of the power supply to feed the phono, as long as you have the right connector & correct polarity. The 50 / 60 hertz will not be a problem as that pertains to clock functions, and a phono has none.

• After it becomes 12 volts DC, there is no frequency (hertz)

• i have never seen a record player that works on 12 vdc, but if you found one, it should work with any 12 vdc converter.