Adopting a rescue puppy?

How can I make the transition to a new home easy on the little guy? I know what kind of food he's currently getting and what his usual routine is like. What else can I do?

Comments

• This little guy is going to be freaked out of his mind no matter what you do, so don't stress to much. In fact, being relaxed and calm around him will actually make the transition easier.

When you bring him home, let him investigate one room for ten minutes and put him in his X-pen or crate. Take him out to walk around and do business every hour, but otherwise let him sleep. Don't let him meet the whole family until that night. Keep the whole introduction very low-key and five minutes max.

Take him for a short walk the next morning, consistently giving him treats for good behavior. Let him romp around in your yard for a while and show him another room in your house. Just go slowly. Don't rush it. Control what he experiences to the best of your abilities, and always wear a treat pouch with treats in it to alleviate any scary situations. The best ones at the lowest prices are available on www.jjdog.com.

Here are some things to introduce him to. Tackle one every day and come back to it over the following days as you are able. Put scarier ones later.

stairs

the vacuum cleaner

a playground with noisy kids

new dogs

construction sites

visitors at the house

the kitchen

anything in your house that makes loud or sudden noises

cats, birds, or rodents

baths

grooming

teeth brushing

the pet store

the vet

the groomer's, if applicable

The finest rule for rescue puppies is TEST: Take Everything Slow with Treats. I hope this is helpful!

• Be clear from the beginning about the rules of the house. It's so easy to find it 'cute' when a new pup jumps up at people or onto the settee, but when it gets bigger, these things are a nuisance. Most dogs actually like to know, very clearly, what is and isn't OK, so although you'll probably get criticised by others ("oh, he's so sweet, he doesn't mean any harm, I'm happy to have him on my lap, surely just one bit of chocolate cake can't hurt" etc etc) your puppy will be MUCH more secure and happy if you are firm and clear. Nothing will destroy your pup's trust and sense of security more than being told off, on day 6, for something that was welcomed on day 1.

That applies to where it's going to sleep, too. The chances are that it will be miserable on its first night with you, but if the dog is going to be sleeping in a basket in the hallway (for example), don't go and take it into your bed when it starts crying. Much better to take a sleeping bag and go and sleep in the hall with it!!

Other than that, just talking reassuringly, giving it some sense of physical reassurance (patting/stroking), and taking your lead from the dog in how it likes to be touched and approached, will help hugely.

Is this the sort of thing you were after? Good luck with your puppy - I hope you and he have a wonderful time getting to know each other.

PS I know that giving 'treats' is the usual way of encouraging good behaviour... but personally, I strongly recommend against it. You are really demanding that the dog be obsessed with food and willing to do anything for it. Not only is this exceedingly tedious, but you risk encouraging obesity. I never, ever, used food treats in the training of any of my dogs (all border collies - I know not all dogs are like collies, but I still think this holds true).

• Well, try to get to know the dog's moods and personality, so you can better interact with him. This will make it so much more comfortable on him. If he is a specific breed, you may know what to expect, however it can be kind of hard since yourrescueing him, depending on early life (you know if he was abused or something) he might not be the mst playful. hat's why you as the owner have got to try to see eye to eye with the puppy, and get know what he likes and doesn't like, butmake sure you are teaching obidience. :)

• well, first try not to scare him too much, obviously a move is just kind of scary but, definatly no yelling, also if you have small children watch them with the puppy because most puppies are timid, and try not to let them be too loud, also if you have any other pets keep them away for a while, let the puppy find them, also let him explore, don't let him chew on anything but let him get to know his new surroundings, also keep him as close to the schedule he's on now as possible, hope this helps! have a great day :), hope this puppy works out!

• The best thing you can do is to be very patient with him. He might seem a little nervous at first, but as he gets used to you and your home, he'll get more comfortable. Make sure you read up on his breed and have supplies for him like bowls, leash, collar, tag, bed, etc. You should also formulate a solid exercise/feeding schedule that he can get used to and secure a nice vet. Remember, patience is a virtue.

• well they usually give you the food that they are usually on so they have no change in there diet. And once you bring your new member to the family home you just comfort the pup. You can take him on long walks at least twice a day and let him sleep in the same room as you so he knows who his owner is.

• If he has any toys that he has right now and loves, make sure you get them so that he will feel safe with his "friend". Also, have some new toys for him when he gets to your house. Just love on him all of the time. In no time he will get used to your home and love you very much :)