Gift cards as <span >Christmas</span> presents?

I can't afford to buy my family and friends much of anything for christmas. I've been laid off since July and been working part time-15 hours a week for minumum wage. Not even close to what I was making before. In other words, this holiday season, I'm broke.

I can only spend about $25 on my folks, and about $10-15 bucks on my brother and younger sister.

Thats it, not even sure I can get my hubby anything and our kids will get one or two things from hubby and I ($20 max, 2 kids) and whatever else they get will come from our church.

Would it be considered cheap if I gave my folks a nice card with a $25 Walmart gift card in it, and my brother and sister a nice card with a $25 gift card from Walmart as well (they each get a gift card and a card from hubby and I)?

I know they will use the walmart gift card-they all shop there all the time like I do.

Would this be rude or cheap? They all know hubby and I are broke as hell and can't do much anyway.

Comments

• No, you are not rude or cheap. Many ppl don't get gifts for Christmas or they get gifts that cost less than $10. It's sad that many ppl have come to expect giant screen tvs and expensive clothes for Christmas. On the first Christmas, a man and a pregnant woman couldn't even get a room in the inn.

Your idea of gift cards is very generous.

• First of all the gift card sounds okay, but what you should do is something more from the heart. Like go to Dollar Tree, Dollar General one of those kinds of stores maybe even walmart. Get a decent photo frame and put a picture of your kids in there for your parents.

For your kids get them some candy gift bags and little toys like stocking stuffers. Tell your kids that you guys are having a difficult time right now. (I remember my parents telling me that before, one year when we didn't get any expensive or alot of presents)

Get your brother, and sister a gift card sounds good. Or another picture of your kids.

• It depends on what kind of a family you have. Are they materialistic, greedy bastards? or are they decent folks?

Most likely, $25 on a gift card, in this economy will be appreciated if you've got the average family.

I've been married three years (four in december) to my husband. I'm happy if we just get cards from his side of the family.

I think gift cards are sweet. Why not make really thought out cards for each person for their giftcard and tell them how much you love them and all that jazz? Construction paper isn't much, neither is scrapbooking stuff nowadays. Have the kids get in on it for your parents and your sibs, then put the giftcards in a special little pocket in the card.

• I don't think it's rude or cheap. Your family might if their greedy,cheap and hateful but other wise no they'll be happy