Why does my AMD x64 show as a x86 processor?

I am have a AMD Turion 64x2 in my laptop and am running Vista Home Premium but was wondering why it shows up as only an x86 processor. Was thinking about upgrading to Vistax64, thats why I am wondering.

Comments

• x86 is a class of processors. x64 means 64 bit. Intel processors also would show up as x86.

Run the Microsoft compatibility tests first. Make a list of all hardware and software that you want. Upgrade to the Maximum RAM first. Check your system with the free SCAN TOOL at Crucial.com

http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2594269-5032657

You will need as much RAM as possible.

Also, make sure that you have your system RESTORE disks for Windows XP in case you don't like the way things work out. (you probably will like Vista 64 better). If you download the upgrade, watch for special deals. Be sure to BURN A CD so you can restore.

Keep in mind that if you HAD TO, you would FIRST have to restore your old Vista, then install the UPGRADE again. So burn that disk, and write down all numbers.

64 bit IS the future... AMD 64 will work out great. But your motherboard might only simulate 64 bit and not be the BE ALL that you hope. Within the next few years, some of the new systems will ROCK.

Good luck and Happy Computing!

• Because it is an x86 processor. The Athlon 64 and Turion 64 were the first x86 processors to have 64 bit capability - AMD initially developed this because Intel was developing Itanium with a different instruction set. As a result of the business market largely ignoring Itanium and adopting AMD for servers as well as desktops, Intel was forced to adopt AMD's 64 bit extensions for x86 for their own use, since their customers were forcing them to either go in that direction or lose them to AMD.

• x86 refers to the instruction set that the processor uses. It started with the Intel 8086 and includes the Intel 286, 386. 486 amd many others. For more information see this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86

You should be able to upgrade to Vistax64 with no problems.