How does a "W" affect your transcript?

I'm currently enrolled in a LARGE amount of units for this semester and am falling behind in an online elective class, and with my first set of midterms this week, I am only going to fall behind even further.

The drop date is next week and I am thinking of dropping the course which would result in a 'W' on my transcript. I eventually plan to attend grad school and am worried that this might look bad. (The class is completely unrelated to my major)

Also, I currently hold a 4.0 GPA and don't know if a 'W' would change that.

Please help, I've never dropped a class before.

Update:

Also, even if I drop the class I would still hold a fulltime schedule and if I get good grades in my other classes, would I still be eligible for the dean's/president's list with a 'W', or would that disqualify me? So far, I've made the list every semester and would like to keep that up.

Comments

• Yes you would definitly still be eligible... i dont know what grade your in but if your a senior it wont look to bad as long as your still having a full schedule and taking difficult classes... but on the other hand you have to realize colleges do look at this and wonder why the person is unable to keep all the classes he is taking... think it over for as long as you can its up to you.. but remember there are pros and cons to this decision.. but to answer one of your questions.... you would still be on the principles list if you go a 4.0

• dropping a direction with a WP (Withdrew bypass) or W (Withdrew) doe no longer commonly effect shifting. in spite of the undeniable fact that if it shows WF (Withdrew Fail) because you missed the final date to withdraw or you've various Ws or WPs on your transcript then you would get carry of a conditional admission. in my opinion, dropping a direction or 2 does no longer adversely effect shifting presented you meet the different criteria required to move.

• SInce you won't have a lot of W's, it should make that big of a difference to whether you get accepted to grad school.