How do I get into Canada without a passport?

There's a Wilco show on monday that me and my girlfriend are driving to, and we have to cross into Canada to go. She has a passport, and I lost mine, but am bringing my license and birth certificate. Are they going to rape me? What should I do?

Update:

Lol and to you folks going wild about the "rape" thing, its just an expression. Don't take everything so seriously!

Comments

• You can't cross the border without a passport. Your licence will be acceptable if it has been enhanced with a computer chip to act as a passport.

By the way, since your country introduced passports for that particular border, "rape" is a rather unfortunate word.

You can try a passport office today, if you have one convenient.

• Canadian customs officers are not in the habit of "raping" people that try to come into Canada without a passport. I find that comment rather offensive, quite frankly. Someone who has been the victim of sexual assault probably would also not find that humorous.

As for your actual question, it comes down to this: If you are an American, you don't need a passport to get into Canada, but you do need one to get back to USA (as per the WHTI regulations). Because of that, it is possible that Canada Border Services will turn you back. They don't want you "stuck" on our side trying to go back to the US.

Since you "lost" your passport, that passport could be in anyone's hands now. It should have been reported to the US Passport office as soon as you figured out it was lost. What you SHOULD do is go see the passport office immediately, explain the circumstances of the loss and that you need a new one issued urgently (think you can get a temporary passport the same day).

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.htm...

• You can cross into Canada without a passport.

But, you cannot get back into the US without one. This is an American rule, not a Canadian one. My guess is that without a passport, Canada Customs may be reluctant to let you in as you will be stuck here, unable to return to the States, even though you would be legal to enter Canada.

• I have gone to Canada a few times and I tell you this you do need a passport to get into Canada now.

• If you have the enhanced driver's license - the one with the computer chip in it - you will be able to go through the border. The birth certificate doesn't make any difference at all because they don't care how old you are. And in fact, birth certificates aren't any good for ID because they could belong to anyone. There's no picture or fingerprints on them.

So unless you have that special DL, you aren't going to get through the border. Sorry about that.

You might try going to the passport office in person, telling them it's an emergency - I know they can expediate passports in some circumstances, but you pay extra for it.

• I know that some states offer a specific kind of driver's license that allows unlimited entry and exit to and from Canada. You should contact the border patrol in the state that you will be exiting in order to find out specific requirements.

You probably won't be raped.

• Everybody seems to be completely misinformed...you don't need a passport to enter Canada, that is strictly an American requirement. You'll be able to cross the border into Canada with a birth certificate and a valid driver's license, it's getting back into the United States that's going to be your real challenge! The United States imposes these stupid laws, not Canada!

And no, you won't be raped (where did that come from?)

• you will be left at the border

and you wont be able to get back to the US either

now did you ever report your passport lost?

that was the time to get a new one

why didn't you report it loss?

you might be able to get passport card

• it is your homeland security that enforced the passport issue,so you MUST have a passport

• You can not cross the border without a valid passport.Btw don't worry about getting raped :))))