why do you smoke cigarettes? 10 points?

i am working on an essay and i need to interview several people, but since i do not know a lot of people who smoke i decided to ask here. thanks. p.s. i do not have anything against people who smoke, i respect your decision!

Comments

• I'll tell you exactly why I continue smoking, despite being intelligent, well-informed, and certainly aware of the long term risks of smoking. Perhaps leading the multitude of answers is because it feels good to smoke. I can vouch for that; DAMN GOOD! In less than ten seconds upon the first inhalation, nicotine passes into the bloodstream, crosses the blood brain barrier and begins acting on the brain cells. The nicotine just ingested will begin to mimic one of the most important neurotransmitters, Acelytcholine. This action provokes the body's excitation chemicals that include adrenaline and noradrenaline, which causes an immediate rush of stimulation by increasing the blood flow to the brain. This leaves smokers feels energized and alert. Within 20 to 30 minutes after the last cigarette, however, a smoker's energy level becomes sharply reduced. That "charged up" feeling the smoker had minutes before begins fading away and the craving for nicotine quickly returns. Psychological dependence is a major factor that can prohibit a well-intentioned person from quitting smoking because nicotine has such amazingly powerful, reinforcing qualities.

Other reasons why many of us continue to smoke is that we find it easier to manage stress even though we know that smoking is risky and dangerous. Many of us in this day and age juggle family and work responsibilities, and lighting up a cigarette is a welcome substitute to wind down their day regardless of the repercussions involved. Many more of us, myself included, find that smoking helps to keep off those unwanted pounds, and there may be some truth to that notion. Nicotine speeds up the physiological functions, especially the rate at which the body metabolizes food. When smoking stops, metabolism slows down, food is burned more slowly, and the pounds start adding. That reason alone is strong incentive for many of us to continue smoking.

I often feel like the decision to smoke was made for me. I started smoking by proxy when I was in the womb; my mother was always a 2-3 pack a day smoker. Then I was breast fed by the same smoking mother, then for the next 12 years, almost anytime I was around her, I was around a lit cigarette. When my 14-year old sister decided she wanted to try it, I didn't want to be outdone. After my lifelong exposure, I was hooked instantly. After numerous failed quits, I'm just about resolved that I'll smoke the rest of my life. I know it's unhealthy and risky, but I am to the point where I simply can't imagine not smoking. So I do all I can to live as healthy a lifestyle as otherwise possible. Yes I admit it - I'm a hopeless addict! Nevertheless, I do love smoking.

• I started late, when I was 23, and it happened as a result of thinking too much about a problem. The problem kept me awake late at night, and to control my emotions and be calm, I started smoking. Now I'm 38, still smoking, even if I jog every other night and do exercise for 1-1/2 hrs. I would love to stop, but smoking keeps me company while I'm here in Saudi (where the place is not conducive to 'normal living' i know). Also, i reason that smoking is better for me than to become an alcoholic or trying drugs )choosing between two evils, choose the lesser).

• I like the taste and the nicotine kick. It is similar to the way that I like my morning coffee because I love the taste of it and I like the caffeine kick.

I'm one of those people who really likes the taste of a good tobacco. I like the smooth, sweet Virginia tobaccos and the dark, smoky taste of fire-cured Kentucky tobacco.

Of course I've been addicted to the nicotine for decades but I also like the flavor. Just as I wouldn't drink coffee without caffeine, I wouldn't be interested in a cigarette without nicotine. I like the combination of the nicotine and the smoky flavor just like I like the combination of the caffeine and coffee flavor.

• I only smoke them when I'm in the manic phase of bipolar I disorder. It calms me a bit so I don't feel the need to get in fist fights.

• Temper! Lol.

A friend forgot his pack of smokes one day and afterwards my boyfriend came over and was being very ignorant. After he left, I was so mad that when I saw the cigarettes, I started smoking them. Up to that time,I never smoked. That was 28 years ago.

Duh stupid me. I've been kicking myself since then.

• Nicotine addiction. Simple as that. My brain takes a dump when I am nicotine deprived and its not much fun.