How To Tell My Parents, Especially My Dad?

Well ever since I could talk, I've wanted to join the military. I used to want to be a Navy pilot like my dad, but as I got older I started leaning more toward the marines. It was something my mom thought I would 1 day just grow out of. My parents have been divorced since I was 8. I'm now 18. Last year after a bunch of fighting with my mom she finally signed and let me enlist at 17 into the delayed entry program. I'm supposed to leave in August. The original job I was trying to get into was LAV crew, but I still have to take depth perception test and all this stuff (btw I scored high on the ASVAB so any MOS is open to me). But today a spot in the infantry opened up, and deep down, that's what I really want to do. My dad was really supportive of the armored vehicles, and actually thinks they're pretty badass... but this I don't think he'll like at all. My mom doesn't like the military idea at all. And my girlfriend just has the fear of me leaving... I don't know how to tell them about my choice to take the infantry job... I'm leaving for bootcamp next month too. Should I even tell them at all?

Comments

• Of course you have to tell them! They would never forgive you if you didn't! Regardless of what route you chose, they would need to know what you have chosen so they know what you are doing.

As for the infantry job... If that is the route you want to follow, then you should do it! I know your parents aren't keen on the military idea, but if they've let you go this far, then a switch to the infantry should not make any difference. Especially if that is what you want to do with your life. Any parent would understand. They'd be concerned, yes. Fearful, of course. Wishing you'd pick a safer route through life, naturally. But in the end it is your choice and they have to respect that choice.

As long as you don't end up with any regrets, take whichever path feels right for you. Do not follow down a path you don't want and end up regretting passing by that opportunity to do what you truly wanted.

I always wanted to be in the RAF.

• Don't leave without telling them. Be open and honest, like you are here. You are obviously sincere in your motives, you should let them know what you want and how much this decision is weighing on you. You need the support of your family to get through all this. Good luck and thank you for serving!

• i have talked about youthful babies of both sex bearing some very ambitious tattoo concerning their love existence previous and present day. i wager it ought to help one keep an finished record only a glance distant. This assumes you receives previous and without this bf record you'll ignore and be compelled to absorb knitting rather. those are those appealing issues that all mothers and fathers opt to imagine they're going to under no circumstances see it on their baby. maximum elderly sailors have some you should replica if no more beneficial valuable way is positioned for a boyfriend talk.

• Do what you want to do, if that's infantry... go for it! You have wanted it for a long time and go forward with no regrets. But, tell your family your choice, if I were your girlfriend, I would appreciate you telling me. But it is more dangerous and you need to ask yourself, are you prepared for the possible outcomes? My advice, go for the infantry.

• Umm, if you GO, what they gonna think, that you just disappeared ?? Of course you have to tell them so they can say a proper good bye and well wishes.... Just tell them.... Maybe go out to eat first, relaxing night and then just say it..... Dad and friend deserve to know and hear it from you NOW, so they can get used to the idea........ good luck....

• Honestly, were in the same boat my friend. The only thing you can do is join, serve, and make them proud. God bless!

• i think no matter what, you should tell them the truth. your dad might not like it, but its your life and your choices. if you want to serve in the marines, you should(:

• Yes, tell them. It's your choice and they should stand behind you on it.