Book poll! "A Clockwork Orange": tasteless or a masterpiece?

Comments

• Disturbing. If it wasn't written well, it wouldn't be disturbing. In a world here Jersey Shore and the Kardashians are considered "mass appeal," it can't be tasteless. It is a book that I wish was never made, but, hey, the author made big bucks writing it, so I'm back to "disturbing."

• A masterpiece of tastelessness.

I'd have to say that it was, while maybe not a masterpiece per se, a definitive, striking, important work of literature that stirred a lot of controversy, made a lot of comments on the state of society, and inspired a lot of writers to think bolder and differently than before. It was well-written, deeply disturbing, thought-provoking, a product of its time, and absolutely unforgettable.

• A Clockwork Orange (Norton Critical Editions) by Anthony Burgess is the story of good and evil and the value of choice. The main character, is a 15 year old lad named Alex whose life consists of crime, cruelty, and recklessness. After being betrayed by an accomplice, he is sentenced to prison where he volunteers for a program that corrects the seemingly uncorrectable. Only then does he being to suffer the consequences of his crash and burn lifestyle.

• Can't it be both?