How is my horse's dressage?

This is Most Fantastic, a 6 year old thoroughbred that I got off the track in August 2009. I've brought him up myself with some help from my trainer. I just want some opinions on how he looks and where he needs improvement. Please keep in mind that he's young and green and still needs lots of work and training.

We're still working on being consistent and on bending(and on uphill movements). I have one concern though: In his canter, is he stretching too low?

Update:

He currently has his shoes off for the winter but when does have them on, his movements are much more uphill especially in the canter.

Update 3:

I've always been taught to keep my hands low and quiet. If they're too low then some tips please on keeping them up? Thanks.

Comments

• You've made a fantastic start on him, I love how he's moving really nice and freely and his outline is lovely.

I think at times he does get a bit downhill though, especially in canter he over bends quite a lot and starts to lose balance.

Like you said though, this is a youngster thing and should sort itself out with some work. Get him starting some more bending in his work, and starting to think more about doing a bit of collected work so he's having to pick himself up a bit more. By doing this, this will bring him using his back end a bit more, getting his muscles developing which in time will improve his balance and enable him to come into a nicer, more uphill way of going.

Some exercises involving raised trot/canter poles will help him work with this, and also lots of circle work, getting him going on smaller and bigger circles and learning to bend and use himself through his whole body as he does it.

You've made a really nice start on him though - seeing as he's only had a year's work he's come on brilliantly, and I'm sure will keep improving into something great.

• He looks like a nice boy and definitely has a lot of talent. However, don't get tricked into the idea of a headset but really look more for round and through. He isn't close to through right now (probably a mix between his back being weak and also your leg position) and he is very strung out in his canter. He isn't stretching too low in canter but getting heavy on the forehand. Really work on pushing him forward into the bridle- you want his hind legs to track well under his belly in the working gaits. Working longer and lower is great for the horse's back and will make it stronger but only if it is ridden correctly- ie the hind legs are pushed through and forward.

Some tips for you that will improve your horse's performance: watch your thumbs and keep them up on top. Let your hands move with the horse's head (he has a LOT of movement in his head because he is green, and will continue to have a lot of movement until his back is stronger). However, at the trot watch that you don't "fidget" with your hands either. To get an idea of just how much you fidget, rest your outside hand on the pommel and feel just how much it wants to move with you as you post.

Bringing your leg back from your hip even just an inch will help you control the hind leg a lot more and give you the ability to push the horse round. Make sure on your circles that your outside leg comes back, and this will help round out your horse and help him use his abdominal muscles better, making him less downhill and stronger through his back. If you can, drop your stirrups in the canter as well- you are fighting a little bit against your leg, which in turn is ruining the quality of your seat and making you bounce up and down, rather than scooping across the saddle. A better seat will = a stronger back and also help your horse become more uphill and round as well. It is perfectly possible that your horse's back is too weak to absorb your motion when you get off, and he gets heavy because he is trying to avoid your seat. By softening it, his canter will improve a lot.

• Stop worrying about is head for a bit and worry about his impulsion. He looks to have balance and be decently supple, but he does look heavy in the bridle, especially at the canter. Start asking him for more from his hind end and his outline will improve as well. Then he will become lighter in your hands. He looks great for only having a little over a year though.

My other concern is your position, you're looking like a hunter jumper girl. Put your thumbs up, keep your hands level with your hips, and roll your shoulders back. It will greatly improve your contact with him and make life much easier for you when riding any horse.

That's interesting, I've always been yelled at if my hands are low. Well first imagine having a rubber band stretched between your thumbs, you'll feel like you're over doing it at first probably but you'll get used to it. To keep them more up imagine holding a tea tray. If your arms are down the tray will fall, if they're too high you'll get the hot tea on you. You still want your hands quiet you just want them a bit more up, if your arms are bent more and you're sitting up it's a much more effective position.

• OK my take on it. He is going well but I would like to see him taking longer strides at the trot, it seemed a bit hurried with his steps and I would to achieve this have him working longer and lower in his head and neck. He is often behind the bit at trot and at the canter and to prevent this he needs to learn how to go lower. As the stride lengthens and he strengthens up so he will bring his head higher rather than you having to keep asking for it. This is causing tension through his back though there are a few times when he is swinging his tail they are few and far between. A horse that is working through its back will swing its dock as it trots around.

Try to think of your downward transitions as a forward movement especially from trot to walk.

Nice horse and you have done well.

• omg thats fabulous!!! he looks Most Fantastic! lol

really though, you have done a terrific job. you should be proud.

at this point (especially with him being OTT) i would not worry about him stretching too low. in the early stages, i like to see a longer, lower frame. over time, he will slowly begin to elevate his poll and drop his croup. dressage is a journey, not a destination. however, i do see that as he canters, he drops his nose behind the vertical. keep him active from behind with a little more leg and be sure you do "jockey arms" to allow him to use his head and neck to balance. i can see that you have sort of planted your hands near the pommel of your saddle and don't follow his motion with your hands in canter. because his head cant go forward, your horse is forced to push his nose behind the bit.

Fantastic job! good luck with this lovely horse!

• Your horse tracks very well and appears to be consistant. I don't think you will have any problem with further training. I did; however, notice 2 things in your riding:

1. In some of your riding, I noticed that you are not looking ahead to see where you are going. It looks as if you have your head tilting downward.

2. You do not have weight in your stirrups all the time and therefore, your feet slide back and forth.

Hope this helps.

• He looks very nice, but I would like to see him pick his feet up more, he's dragging them in the dirt. Time for ground poles and cavaletti?

With your riding though.. You were wearing spurs which you should be very careful and precise with but you looked like you were jabbing him in the side with every stride. Especially at the trot, as your feet were bouncing around.

Well apparently I'm blind.. Spurs or not, you should still keep your lower leg and feet still.

• very nice mover and a beautiful out line and the canter is really nice but I do agree that he is stretching down a little bit to much but he does look very good! :D