Help with a camera problem?

I have always had a compact camera the one I have now is a Canon Power Shot A610 which is ok but I want something better, I like taking shots of views so would like something with a better zoom, looked at these cameras Samsung GX10, Canon EOS 400d or Fujifilm FinePix S9600, not sure which to go for something easy to use never had a DSLR before

Comments

• All of these cameras will have "auto" modes which make the camera function like a point and shoot camera, so in that regard, you have nothing to worry about.

In terms of picture quality, I would give the edge to the Canon EOS 400D or the Samsung GX10 (which is a rebadged Pentax K10D SLR.

The Finepix S9600 is not an SLR, and certainly you can't change lenses on it.

The Samsung is the best of your 3 choices (surprisingly) but that's because it's a high-end Pentax in Samsung clothing.

Key to getting more zoom or at least a better quality zoom is buying the right lens to go with the camera. It'll cost you more, but if you're just starting out with the 18-55mm basic kit lens, I think you'll be pleased with how much better the images look than your older A610 Canon.

If you're not committed to any particular lenses, I would look first at the Samsung, then the Canon. I would handle both cameras and pick the one that feels right to you. But the Samsung is definitely the higher end model between it and the Canon.

• I'd go for the canon 400. I had the Fuji for a short time, not best. I don't know the Samsung, so won't say anything about it. With the Canon you can change the lens to suit your pix. A very wide-angle type for wide views, or a telephoto for detail pix. With the Fuji you are stuck with the lens that's on it. (Modest wide angle to telephoto)

• Canon's are good