Can I upgrade phones now?

Our family is on a shared plan with 5 phones. My individual phone is not up for like a year, but my mom's phone is up in about 7 months (March). She does not want to upgrade, so can I use her upgrade to upgrade mine instead? And isn't it true that you can upgrade 6 months before your contract is actually up? Looking to get an Iphone so please helllpppp!

Update:

And also does that mean I can upgrade in September because of the 6-month thing? September to March is 6 months?

Comments

• In order to answer fully, I would need a few more details, but here are general rules for upgrades depending on your carrier.

For Verizon, you become eligible for upgrade in 20 months after you start your 24 month contract. If any line on the account is eligible, then a different line can use that upgrade. It will renew the contract of the line that was eligible, but the new phone will go to whichever line wants it. That process is called Alternate upgrade.

For AT&T, 20 months is the same. You can do alternate upgrades on AT&T as well, but there is more work involved through their system. But it is still possible and with the same contract extension on the eligible line.

For TMobile, 22 months is when you become eligible for upgrade. And alternate upgrades are available, but again, more complicated within the system.

I haven't dealt with Sprint too much, but I believe they are 20 months, but I don't have any hard info for that.

• I never heard of the 6 months before upgrade thing. But my sister traded upgrade dates with my grandmother 2 weeks ago and it was ok. She got the Iphone and my grandmother took hers which is in a year

• That all depends on (your mystery) carrier which you did not list up in your question at this time! Solution CALL YOUR ? CARRIER and ask.

• yes you can