You DO sear pot roast..correct?

Told hubby that you want to sear chuck roast first, then add slits and add garlic, etc...

He says that his mom "never seared her chuck roast, and it fell apart."

MAYBE! But i've always seared it. HE is planning on making this, but wants advice. Please? Thank you!

(Sorry, he can't ask Mom; she passed away. Just another reason, Moms, that you should start a Family Cookbook as a legacy!)

Comments

• some say to sear the potroast to seal in the juices but THAT has been debunked by Alton Brown on the cooking show, Good Eats.

Browning the meat adds flavor but I would never brown it and then cut slits in it...cut the slits to add garlic,etc and THEN brown it if you want to.

BUT it is NOT necessary at all.

• I have NEVER seared any roasts! I have NEVER cut slits to put (ick) garlic slivers in it.

I put the roast in the pan, add water and a family sized tea bag, the onion quarters, some liquid smoke and seasonings (currently it is steak rub) and cooked it for 1 hour open, flipped the roast over, cooked it one hour, flipped it over, put the lid on, and cooked it for another couple hours, flipping it every hour.

Mine are always so tender they "fall apart".

Yes, I am writing a cookbook because it is too time consuming to explain to the grandchildren how to cook stuff they get to eat here! My mom nor my grandmothers had more than clipped recipes stuck into a scrap book for cookbooks! I have about 3 boxes of clipped recipes that I am going through trying to figure out which ones they used so I can put these in the book too.

http://www.bookblurb.com/ is a good format for cookbooks. I am using one book for desserts, one for meats and other main dishes, one for veggies, and one for fruits. this is a free download, but if you want the books printed you need to get family to donate to the printing!! If I were at all organized it might just take one book to do all of it. But my thoughts run in menus, not individual recipes so it would take a lot of organizing and putting the recipes in a word program under catagories to do this.

• Some sear their roasts before baking so as to seal in juices and brown the outer of the meat. I usually use my crock pot to cook roasts anymore but I would cook it on a low 300 degrees til tender.

• Searing seals in juices and making slits to add garlic adds awesome flavor

• I personally do not. But I know people who prefer to sear the roast first.

• My way of doing that's to place the pot roast in a (appropriate) plastic zip lock baggie with the marinate. contained in the refrigerator overnite. the following day, forget with reference to the searing & positioned the beef contained in the sluggish cooker, some or all the marinade, the vegetables, notwithstanding else it demands (no longer the flour). Set on sluggish (or medium) cook dinner and pass to artwork. no rely if or no longer you sear the beef does not rely. it is going to likely be performed once you come back living house that afternoon.

• You don't have to, but I do. It makes a prettier roast and adds 'fond' in the bottom of the pan for more flavor. Hey, he's cooking dinner. That's a plus in itself.

• Your bang on missus, Seals in flavour and looks better when finished.