How do I fix my garage door?

Ok, so I JUST bought a new house. Unfortunately, while bringing the couch in the garage, it pulled on some wire hanging (not the chain, it was a red rope that had a handle) and the garage door flew down. After that, we tried using our switch again to open the garage door, but it would only lift it a few inches, go back, lift a few inches,and then stop, and THEN start making clicking noises. The only way I can open my garage door is by hand. I've also noticed that the chain has been hanging really low when the garage door fell and slammed shut. Is there anyway I can fix this? There's also these two metal things on the chain. I have two garage doors. One works perfectly fine, but the two metal things on the chain stay together, while my other broken garage door doesn't. Any help please??

=A=N=Y==H=E=L=P==W=I=L=L==B=E==G=R=E=A=T=L=Y==A=P=P=R=E=C=I=A=T=E=D

IF ANYONE ALSO MAKES A VIDEO ON HOW TO DESCRIBE IT, I WILL MAKE SEVERAL RANDOM QUESTIONS AND GIVE THAT PERSON THE BEST ANSWER!!! PLEASE IT'S A NEW HOUSE AND I REALLY REALLY reaaaaaaaaaaaalLY WISH YOU GUYS CAN HELP US!

Thanks!

Comments

• you have to adjust the up and down travel settings. you have to have the owners manual to do that however.

• The red rope is the emergency release for the door. It disconnects the door from the rail and the screw mechanism. This is how you would operate the door manually in the event that the electricity were to go out: pull the cord, which releases the door to slide freely along the track. It's not a problem; all you need to do is push it back on the track until it clicks back into position. As long as it's out of position, the screw gear will simply turn without engaging the door mechanism. You just pulled that accidentally, and that's what you did.

You need to know how this operates anyhow, because if your car is inside when the power goes out, and you need to get your car out, you will need to be able to work it manually. Think of this as a primer in operating your new house.

You might want to check to see if you can print out the troubleshooting instructions for your unit online, if the people who installed the unit didn't leave it handy for you. We always keep the instruction guide near the unit, so the garage door manual is in the garage near the switch, and the water softener manual is tucked on a shelf near the softener. I would hope that others would do the same, but failing that you can look online.

• 1. Check to see if the chain came off the sprocket on top of the motor unit at the far end.

2. Look for the adjustment on the chain. A simple wrench is used to tighten it. The chain should only droop about 1/4 inch. If it is off the sprocket, the chain will be loose.

3. Down at the floor at each end of the garage door, there are two sensors. If you see a green or yellow light on the sensors they are fine.

4. On the case where the motor is, there are two adjustment screws. It is identified, it is either on the end or you open the light cover. The one screw says increase-decrease tension. You will want to increase the tension.

5. Google the name of the manufacturer, call the manufacturer, they have a free technical team that will walk you through it.

• It's the sensors attached to the bottom of the garage door guide rails. There is either something in the way or they are not aligned or one or both of them are broken.

There should be a green or red light on both of them, if they are flashing that means there still hooked up and there is something in the way or they are not aligned or those wires you pulled down disconnected them and they need to be reattached.

• You have to reset the red rope thing. Flip the lever where the rope is attached. This is what attaches the door to the chain. Now lift the door until it engages.