Oh, No! Not my GaragE DooR Opener??!?

I have a Craftsman 1/2hp garage door opener. I just recently started getting problems with it. What happens is that a lot of times the hook does not safely lock itself into the chain and also when it does lock itself safely it opens only a quarter-way and then either freezes or closes itself. And this keeps on repeating. I dont know what to do! It was working just fine for the past 4 years but now all of a sudden it is giving me trouble. Would weather play a role? it is very windy and cold like in the low 20's (farenheit) outside?.. Thanx

Update:

Suprisingly even the remotes arent working!

Comments

• Take a look at the rollers and or track sounds as if something is binding. Jmoyz is correct the safety beams are for closing only. Also the chain may be knotted up at the drive gear, seen this once or twice. Also check the springs and or torsion bar

• You definitely have resistance somewhere.

The first place to check is the helper-spring(s)

Next would be the track/rollers (bent/sticking)

If temperature is an issue spray the track, rollers, chain, guide with a lubricant such as Triflow, If everything returns to normal, follow up with a LOW-temp automotive grease.

Whatever it is I'd love to bet it is SAFETY-feature related.

If all else fails, call a reputable Overhead Door co.

• If this is closing itself then it would not be the safety feature. When something breaks the beam the door will NOT go down. It will either freeze or go back up so it doesn't close on anything.

• You have an safety feature on your garage door at the electric eye. Check for any leafs or any obstruction that could be causing this problem. Also lube up all moving parts with silicone spray.

• From time to time as the parts get older there is more resistance (especially seasonal change) and the tension adjustment has to be turned a little to compensate. The procedure for this is in your instruction book. If you don't have it go to Sears and they will help you.

• You might have a broken spring on the door.