Cats VS dogs to adopt?

If you're mean I will report you, answer most of my questions you get best answer.

Re posting for nice people to answer not die-hard ASPCA members/supporters!

Why are dogs more expensive than cats in a humane society shelter?

You don't have to read each list but you get the point.

Obviously there are a bit more cats than dogs & obviously dogs cost a LITTLE more to care for. I don't see why they don't lower their adoption fee to find them more homes. Also I don't see why I couldn't try to talk them down, who says anything is impossible? In regards to food consumption, small dog for me I have special mental needs and my doctors say shelters are the best plus I love going.

Could I talk them into a lower price for a puppy because they're ridiculously priced compared to everything else. I just don't get it, maybe its because they can grow up with you but still!

Adoption Fees

DOGS & PUPPIES

DOGS OVER 6 MONTHS- $90

PUPPIES 6 MONTHS AND UNDER- $150

PURE/SPECIAL BREED DOGS- $200

SPECIAL DOGS OF THE WEEK -$80

CATS & KITTENS

Meow Madness Adoption Bonanza

ADULT CATS OVER 6 MONTHS - $25

KITTENS 6 MONTHS AND UNDER - $55

SPECIAL BREED CATS- $150

But each pet would equally get:

Spay/Neuter – each adopted pet will be spayed or neutered before going to its new home

First vaccinations and deworming (only for roundworms)

Microchip identification

Free vet exam from participating vets

Heartworm test for dogs/pups 6 months or older

Current year dog license

Dog slip lead

Feline Leukemia and Feline Aids test (not vaccinations for these diseases)

Cardboard cat carrier

Update:

What if I flip a coin or say if the puppy sits for me then I get a discount. :)

Comments

• Get a cat and a dog rescue two animals they will get on with each other. I'm not sure on US $ but in the UK the fees charged appear higher. You have to realise the shelters have looked after other people's cast offs the animals must be fed vetted kept warm and checked for how they behave with children etc.

You can't have a freebie because it will mean nothing to you at all, as for flipping a coin this shows you know nothing about little puppies they have to learn to know and trust you first. My GSD is well taught most he learnt himself however my old JR does not listen to one word I say, now how would you cope with him>? I just laugh and walk away from him because nobody can tame a 14 year old JR. Only time he listens is when I shout 'dinner JR' then he comes running with his bowl.

I know you have a sense of humour so why would I be rude to you, in fact you would make a great owner because you have the ability to laugh.

• Most dogs cost more for neuter/spaying then cats. And they would require more vaccines. And dogs have more training obligations then cats. Look on craigslist - there are far more puppies being dumped and rehomed due to people finding out that dogs take a lot more work at home then they thought.

The shelters want people to THINK about who they are adopting and why. They don't want to be seeing that "cute" puppy back again which is far more likely to happen in a month or even a few weeks after purchase.

Maybe the shelter feels that the paying higher for a dog will cause the family to really think and not impulse buy.

Personally no matter if its a cat or a dog, the family needs to think about LONG term care - not not a few weeks or months.

• "I'd suggest that part of this is supply and demand. There are usually 5 cats for every 1 dog!! And generally speaking wouldn't most puppies cost more than a basic kitten, outside a Shelter?

I'd not imagine there would be any ability to talk down. "

I've already answered this - tks for the BA. Repeat questions can be seen as spamming, so I'd settle for the answers you already have. Shelters have overheads, so I'd suggest trying to haggle isn't going to get you very far. Also instead of looking for anwers here about this, why not ask the Shelters concerned? I'd also caution you that if buy in cost IS an issue, as this is only the start with pet ownership, dog or cat, you may not be able to afford a pet at all?

• You are complaining because puppies are 'worth' more than adult cats.

The price is set at what people will actually pay, and how many want to pay that price.

More people want puppies than adult cats, so they are considered to be a higher value, and you are competing against a lot of people who are happy to pay the price.

Plus, a female puppy can cost you $160 to spay at your vet. An adult male cat might cost you $10 using a local scheme. So its still a bargain.

The shelter has to get some income from somewhere to pay the bills. In an ideal world, the people who dump animals would pay for the shelters. But they won't. So the responsible people have to pay.

Unfortunately, society works like that a lot of the time. Don't let it bother you.

If you want to haggle, go elsewhere. No shelter will be impressed with your attitude or reasoning - they see people who want a cheap dog all the time and will just assume you are another one.

There are pounds and shelters that will rehome for $5. The pets aren't neutered or anything. Go there and pick up the vet bills yourself - its a lottery as you may get a heartworm positive pet, but thats the chance you take.

• People like you, who come in to a shelter to HAGGLE the price, piss us off, not going to lie. It makes them less likely to want to adopt an animal to you, because you sound like you don't have enough money for the initial purchase. If you can't pay the up front cost of buying an animal, how will you pay for food, medical bills, etc.

Dogs cost more because they often need more shots than cats do, and they cost more to have spayed/neutered. The prices you posted here, are EXTREMELY cheap, I hope you know that. The shelter I work at charges $275 for a puppy. I have seen other rescues around here that charge $300-450 for adult dogs and puppies, so I can not even believe you are complaining about this shelters prices. Shelters do NOT haggle with people. The price is set in stone, and does not change for any specific person.

• If you can't afford the dog then you most likely can't afford vet bills of food or anything else they need, therefore you shouldn't get one. Dogs cost more because shelters that have dogs for over $100 means that they have gotten that dog it's shots and the care it needed when it came into the shelter, as for cats are a lot cheaper and dogs are harder to care for than a cat. Where I live most shelters have dogs and cats for the same price at $50 but that's because they haven't received shots or vet care yet so in the end you have to also pay for all the shots and spay/neuter. The prices you listed are actually pretty cheap. I know some shelters that I tried adopting from but the dog I wanted got adopted and the dog costed $425. If you can't even afford the adoption fee then don't adopt. Just shows you can't care for it. And spay/neuter can cost up to $600. Think about that before you adopt when you can't afford the fee to adopt.

• For one thing, the initial cost of a dog is insignificant in comparison to the maintenance costs of keeping a dog. For another, $90-$150 for a spayed/neutered, vaccinated, chipped, heartworm tested and licensed dog is a BARGAIN. Those things would cost hundreds without the dog.

• When I was younger I asked the same question at our humane society down I the cities. If you feel you must report me go ahead and do so, but this is why some of the pricing is what it is.

In some large cities there a medical research facilities, they use rats, guinnea pigs, mice, rabbits and dogs. I'm sure they have some with monkeys and other animals, but the ones that I know of do not.

People used to adopt adult $10.00 dogs and bring them down to the research facilities, sell them for about $50.00 since the dogs had their health certificate, had been dewormed, had their rabies and distemper shots. Not saved the research facility the expense of contracting a dog breeder(s). The bigger variety of dogs, different breeds different ages, the better it was for the research facility because it gave them a wider data base to work with. If the research facility only used one breed, one age - someone could claim the test results would be totally different than say using older or younger, bigger or smaller test subjects.

I'm sorry for being so blunt but you wanted it straight forward.

Dogs are friendly, easier to handle than most cats, don't claw hiss spit and scratch if they get frightened, cannot run from the handler and fit into a shoebox on top of a shelving unit, climb a set of blinds or squeeze out a window that's only open 4 inches.

People lie about why they want their dogs, just about anybody can adopt a dog, there is no waiting period, they just want cash or credit card. You are limited to 3 adoptions at a time, but the shelter will check to make sure all 3 dogs get along before they let them go home with you. Up until 3 years ago, you did not need a proper I'd, just a piece of current mail with your name and address on it. The shelters and dog pounds are so over crowded and over worked that they do not do home checks. If they do not get a spay/neuter certificate back on your dog they will send you a nasty letter in the mail threatening to take the dog back, but I have never heard of them following through.

A good part off the pricing is also supply and demand more people want dogs than cats. Free kitten signs are up pall over on just about any vertical pole or tree, there is an over abundance of the in most areas.

About 3 years ago our adoption prices went sky high, up to $350.00 and up for a purebred papered dog of any size, the larger dogs are from $175.00 and up, age has no affect on the price a 15 year old dog costs the same as a 1 year old dog. The size of the dog does matter not the breed. The smaller the more expensive since so many people want pocket size dogs or something that can be litter box trained. With the new system the dogs are now microchipped as well as having digital pictures of the dog and his/her markings. You can bring a dog home before its spayed/neutered, but if not done within 15 days the sheriff or animal warden will come and visit. (Big improvement) if you have not scheduled your dog by the or the surgery has not been done by then you can loose the dog and not get a refund.

That's what I know about the dog part of the pricing they set the prices to encourage people to buy the unwanted larger dogs, but its still fair pricing compared to small dogs or pups. If the dog doesn't work out after 2 weeks, up to 4 weeks with an extension, you may bring it back to the shelter and try one other animal, but you do not get any refund if you decide you don't want another dog.

Cats at the shelter are not all that cheep. A spayed/neutered declawed cat can go for $350.00 Siamese, Persians, calico's, Scottish folds and rag dolls? Go for premium price in tact or not, declawed or not. Average cat adoption fee adult around $125.00 and up. Kittens are $150.00 and up. All cats microchipped, had all healthcare done, dewormed and everything done other than spay/neuter. Many are, more that are not. Your cat will also be repossessed if not been altered by the vet.

Cats tend to be a little cheaper for the fact that they need less care than a dog for people. Most owners do not go out and take their cats for a walk or have to brush them out every day. Nor can most cats play fetch or frisbee or wrestle around with the kids. Basic needs for most cats, litter box, food bowls, collar, hand full of interesting toys, a good cat sculpture to explore on and use as scratching post and there you have it. If you want to go wild you can even find catnip or food treats for your cat.

The pricing may seem unfair but it's there for a reason, a big part of that is to protect the animals from abuse or worse. Lets face it, most people so not want to spend $400.00 or more for an animal their toys, food, cages etc just to keep it around for a week or two and surrender it was in. Besides they are microchipped, and with the new system intact for adoption they do want a recommendation from friend vet or neighbor and need a proper ID.

If you break down the real cost for adoption, vet check, would run about $85.00 if you had to pay, deworming check, $23.00, heart worm $45.00 and heart worm medicine ran me $125.00 for my one dog for the year. Office visit is $65.00. Spay female $450.00 and up, males $300.00 and up. Microchip and registration up to $125.00. new chart fee for vets office $18.00. Adoption from humane society or dog pound is cheep by comparison of buying a dog from anywhere breeder or not, you still need to provide medical care for the dog.

If you are looking for a dog for medical reasons either physical or emotional support then you should be checking with those services rather than trying to do into your own. Not trying to be nasty, but service dogs of any type have thousands of hours of work put into them. A lot of states require a minimum of 1500 hours out in the public and logged in a book before certification can be done. The 1500 hours comes after all the hours and sometimes years it takes to train these wonderful dogs for their particular work.

Good luck

• Reported

If you can't afford a dog then you can't afford its vet care and have no business owing one