Oxford Comma: Yes or No?

Normally, I don't give a f*** about the Oxford Comma (Vampire Weekend reference. Don't get offended). But I was just studying then and noticed my textbook uses the Oxford Comma. And being the Queen of Procrastination, I thought it would be a good idea to abandon study to see how many other people adopt the use of the Oxford Comma.

I think it's fun. I'm going to start using it.

Comments

• In journalism, it's up to the editor and whether or not the publication adheres to the AP Stylebook (doesn't use it) or The Chicago Manual of Style (uses it).

In general, U.S. grammar rules oppose it. Personally, I like it. Even knowing the grammar of the thing, I prefer the separation.

EDIT: And then there's what Kelly said.

~

• Who gives a f--k about an Oxford comma? I've seen those English dramas too, they're cruel. So if there's any other way, to spell the word it's fine with me, with me. Anyways.. but yeah I do believe/use it. I learned it in elementary school and I've just always used it from then on. None of my teachers have a problem with it, though.

• I used to not like it because I thought the "and" in the sentence completely took care of it, but then I got in trouble for not using it in an essay when I was in fifth grade, so now I've just gotten into the habit of always using it. But I still don't really *love* it. I mean, I see people around here go on and on about their devout loyalty towards the Oxford comma and how they can't stand to read the rest of a sentence if it doesn't have an Oxford comma, and I'm just sitting here like, "who gives a f*ck about an Oxford comma?" Hehehe, Vampire Weekend.

But yeah. If I think a sentence looks better, or it serves a better purpose to cut the Oxford comma, I won't hesitate. My best example of this is this sentence:

"I love to eat Skittles and marshmallows and Chocolate Frogs and Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans and gummy bears and Cauldron Cakes and licorice wands!" (You know you're a Harry Potter nerd when you can think of more Harry Potter-related candy than you can Muggle candy off the top of your head.)

Okay, so to me, without the Oxford commas in place in that sentence, it reads off as more energetic, and as though the speaker must be out of their mind on a sugar high. But if I put all the Oxford commas back into place so that it reads as, "I love to eat Skittles, and marshmallows, and Chocolate Frogs, and Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans, and gummy bears, and Cauldron Cakes, and licorice wands!" then the sentence feels a lot more calm and well-thought out. So for that example, I would say get rid of the commas.

In most examples, though, I think I would keep the Oxford comma. Mostly because I'm so used to reading it and seeing it there, it wouldn't feel right for it to not be there. That's just how I feel about the situation. :p

• I use it all the time.

I know many are against it but admittedly I tend to get confused when things are not properly separated.

Example:

"I like cheese, bread and turkey."

or

"I like cheese, bread, and turkey."

For me, it's just easier to read and makes more sense when the three subjects are identifiable as one unit rather than one and then two that seem to go together. There are a few exceptions to this but when dealing with an individual item I'd much rather see the Oxford Comma used.

EDIT:

@ Claire: Now I want to check my AP Stylebook because I know we were told to use it when I was on the college newspaper as a reporter and Editor in Chief. Interesting!

• I think the Oxford Comma is the only right way to write. I mean, if you're writing a list and you put something along the lines of "butter, garlic, cheese and bread", it looks totally wrong, like you're trying to say "cheese bread" but you mean "cheese AND bread", as in both. Therefore, I always use the Oxford Comma. Besides, I think it looks stupid and unorganized without.

• I learned to use the Oxford Comma in grade school. Since then, I've always used it. I prefer it. I think it reads best.

• I love that song! But I loved the Oxford Comma before I even knew there was a name for it!

• I was a newspaper copy editor in high school and college and had to memorize AP style, which doesn't use it. So I usually tend not to use it in my regular writing, because I think it looks smoother, cleaner and more streamlined. :)

• YES! Yes, yes, yes! I am quite seriously obsessed with those things. They make me happy whenever I see them, and when I don't see them in places they should be, I frown. :)