Why does America always copy british tv shows?

e.g. Pop idol

The office

i could go on all day listing them!!

Comments

• And here in South America we copy American shows lol

• I suggest you watch more American TV. Most American shows are not copied. Very few shows on in America have British origins. If you actually watched American TV you'd know this. Most British shows that end up on American TV are actually brought to the US by British executives looking to strike it big in a larger market. Most of the shows are "adapted" to the American comedy style. Frankly most Americans have never seen British comedy and are not used to British humor so things are often changed considerably. The American Office is quite different than the British Office.

The Sopranos, Star Trek, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Simpsons, Seinfeld, Lost, The West Wing, 24, Law and Order, CSI, Grey's Anatomy, South Park, Family Guy, Scrubs, Futurama, The Shield, The X-Files, Battlestar Galactica. The US makes good Sci-Fi television if you ask me. All of those are American made TV shows and are considered to be of high quality or are popular worldwide. That is just a tiny sample. Americans have plenty of original television.

• People around the world are more alike than different. If a show is a huge success in one country, there is at least a chance that it will be successful in other parts of the world. Often, an Americanized version is produced so that the series takes place in a more familiar setting and without accents.

• Don't get your panties in a wad over this:-). Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - British shows are funny. We take the British actors away because we pay them obscene amounts of money here and at the end of the day they are greedy like everyone else.

• It's an international business.

Television show producers sell or licence the concept of their shows to other broadcasters all over the world and the USA is a very commercially lucrative market to get into.

• Life on Mars! I can't believe they copied that. No one can play Gene Hunt like Phillip Glenister!

I think they need to do their own shows really, stick to their own and in Britian we will stick to our own

• As well as inventing the British Language, we also invented comedy. Both these things the Americans have failed to copy accurately.

• it's more like why does America always star British actors in their most popular series

• Because they hate our comedy. They think the reason it its not funny and amusing, so they try to make it better.

WRONG: The real reason is because THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND IT!

• Cos their producers are arrogant enough to think they can take a hit show and make it better. I don't think they've managed it, yet.