Useful Associates Degrees?

My mom is over fifty and recently divorced. She cleans houses for a living, but it's hard work and she wants to do something else as she becomes older. She wants to go back to school, but doesn't have the time or money to get a bachelors, so an associates is the only option. I realize that a lot of associates degrees are useless, so I'd like to receive information on which ones are decent. She only wants to be able to support herself without having to do hard physical labor or an excessive amount of hours (excessive = more than full-time, OR full-time in a very stressful job like food service). Please provide me with as much information as you can. Thank you!

(And before someone criticizes me, I'm supporting her as much as I can - I'm going into the Air Force so I can while still getting an education for myself, but I'm only 20 so I can't support her entirely).

Comments

• Kevin S - Hello Thanx 4 great First Q @ Y! A's. This is good one since its very expensive 2 get degree. Seems smart to study & work complete small step. Get better job & continue study if desired. Some have years of college but no degree so that's wasted. Cannot continue unless U can "stay the course." Health care jobs go begging especially Doctor, nurse. Bookkeepers, Court reporters are in demand. Laboring jobs like cleaning, food service, office work pay poorly, usually part time.

• Nursing, dental hygiene, dental assistant, physical therapy assistant, radiology assistant, are all associates degrees that lead directly to careers which pay pretty well, are in high demand, and are very accepting of older career changers. But as another poster pointed out, your mom needs to think about her own physical condition, and whether or not such work is suited for her. Housecleaning is demanding on the body, and if she's starting to feel the pain of all the years of doing that, then being a nurse or etc. may not be a good fit. Nursing can also be stressful - but dental hygiene tends not to be, and that may be a good fit.

Administrative assistant, legal secretary, paralegal are also really good ones, and fields which tend to be accepting of older career changers. If organization and/or writing are among her strengths, this may be a good fit.

Accounting may also be a good one. With an associates in accounting, she could get a job in accounts payables, accounts receivables, or as a bookkeeper - all jobs with lots of demand, no problem with older career changers, and decent pay. If math is one of her strengths, this would be a good fit.

Another associates degree that is in very high demand, which few people ever think of, is mortuary science. It takes a special person to go into that field, but it's a solid field in many regions of the US. If she's interested, I'd want her to talk to a local funeral director to learn more about it, and to find out about demand in your area. It's a very good field for older people, because they have life experience that they can bring to the job.

Childcare, as the other poster said, is a good one. No problem with her age, or changing careers. And she wouldn't even necessarily need an entire associates worth of training to find her first job. She can, in most areas, start with a certificate, and go from there.

One field that's popular to study right now, but that I'm wary of, is medical assistant. It takes less than an associates, but there isn't always a lot of demand for graduates, so some people study, and then remain unemployed. If this field interested her, I'd want her to research demand in your area before she enrolls.

Her local community college is her best option. I do not want her looking at trade schools at her age, because they are too expensive. I don't want a person, age 50, to be taking out that much in loans in order to become a dental hygienist or etc., when she can do it for far, far cheaper at her local cc.

• Nursing is a good one, but that will involve her being on her feet a lot. Does your local community college have a program for administrative assistants? That's a job that's very much in demand - companies are looking for people with good writing and communication skills who aren't afraid of a little math as well. It's also not very popular because no one seems to want to go to college to be a secretary, and it doesn't pay really well (but not bad).

• What about Nursing? That's probably the best job you can possibly get with an Associates Degree. Or something else in the health-care field. Radiology, medical billing, etc.

• Hi SMD, The simplest careers that pay good on the buddies degree is allied well being that's no longer LPN or clinical helping. Typical majors beneath this heading entails two yr RN, nuclear remedy, radiology technician, breathing technologist, dental hygienist, and radiotherapy technician.

• an assoicates degree is not bad. it is a stepping stone. what your mom could do if she goes back to school, she could take out a loan, but beware you have to pay back. i say since shes over 50, she doesnt have to go back to school, but the choice is hers. if she likes kids, i suggest her working at a preschool or daycare. i work my local ymca with children. they pay is ok, but its still rewardign. congrats onto entering the air force. take care and be safe. thanks for serving our country. :)