Windows Server 2008 IP issue?

Hello,

I have an issue with thi server 2008 I am playing with. I have it setup, made a domain (domain.local) and it is all setup. HOWEVER. I cannot get my machine to recognize my router IP. It gives itself it's own IP (192.168.0.1) and I have no idea how to change it or get my other computers to join domain.local as it is gives me an error stating it could not be contacted. I thought if I changed the IP manually in the properties, that it would work, and that I could see the other PC's or the other PC's could join the domain, but it cannot even connect to the internet when I do that. I am lost here. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong here? I have never messed with 2008, but I suspect it has nothing to do with the version ;) Any help would be WONDERFUL....thanks so much.

Update:

n00b,

LOL, I love your name...but you are definitely knowledgable. My Linksys router is not 192.168.0.1, that is what my Server 2008 choice that IP address. I tried to change it manually to coincide with my routers IP, but then it would not even connect to the internet. I still could not RD in or even see any PC on my network. It is a bit frustrating... :) Thanks for your help, I do appreciate it.

Comments

• Greetings fellow sys ad.

I will try to help, though this is strange.

It sounds like the router gave itself 192.168.0.1

This is normal and you can go with that.

Now you need to give your server a static IP address that is outside the routers DHCP range (assuming it is the DHCP server.) So if for example the DHCP server is dishing out 100-200, use the NIC properites to make your server 192.168.0.99

Now check that you can ping the router from the server.

One other check: again from the NIC properties. Check that the server's DNS server is 127.0.0.1

That means it is the DNS server and other computers can use it to join the domain. If not, DNS and possibly AD are not installed correctly.

Good luck.

• IP handle is cyber web protocol take care of a quantity focused to the laptop you're utilizing on the time. Default Gateway a type is given the IP handle of the router by way of this. The default gateway handle is the handle of the router interface on the subject of a similar community community through fact the source host. A mask a 32 bit mask shows how an cyber web cope with is divided into community, subnet and host components. DNS section identify equipment or service, an cyber web service that interprets domains to IP addresses. wish that's worth, I took a cisco path a at the same time as in the past and besides the reality that i will't remember assorted it, that's the variety of stuff it covers.