** MY PUPPY HAS FLEAS.. NOW SO DO I !!!! **?

so a couple weeks ago my boyfriend said he saw a flea jump from my pup, hes 4 months old and has black fur. so i started using vet flea shampoo, he was strill scratching but then i noticed because of the shampoo it was drying his skin and fur coat our horribly. i took him to the vet and havent seen more fleas, she gave me a soap which helps moisturize his fur which is helping but i woke up this morning and found a flea now i dont know if im freaking but i feel itchy all over too now!!!!

some tips and home remedys would sure help ive heard about washing with bakingsoda, water then lemon dish soap but will it damage my hair??? can i use that on my pup??

im taking him back to the vet in a little bit to see what i can do.

i dont have carpets but what can i do to eliminate them if their in my bed and in my pups bed and blankets ect. HELP!!!!

Comments

• Even though you feel like you do- you don't have fleas on you, and you definitely won't have any after a bath. You can try baking soda but there is a laundry detergent called Borax that I use on my carpet and in the laundry that keeps the fleas away. I wash all my dogs' bedding and stuff with borax and normal detergent. Borax doesn't have a smell, nor does it feel soapy so I just add another detergent just in case. There are sprays that you can purchase from Walmart or a Grocery store that is supposed to kill fleas as soon as it is sprayed on them. I've used it and it's worked pretty well as a spot on treatment. If you walk your dog everyday, you should look in to a topical treatment or a pill that prevents fleas from staying on your dog since that will be longer lasting than a bath or the spray. Your vet will have a ton of different brands for you dog. Good luck and try to nip the fleas in the bud because they can be a pain!!

• I got two cats from my dad's a while back and I ended up having fleas all over the house, us, the two dogs, and the two cats. It was bad and I went to the vet's. I got some kind of flea medication (I believe you put on their back). It might be 'Advantage', etc. Either way, it treats for eggs, as well as adults. It took a while and they seemed to get worse, but within a few days, they were entirely gone. I've not had fleas since and my dogs go outside 3-4 times a day for a potty break.

I don't believe shampoo will help get the fleas from the bed, carpet, etc. The fleas can no longer bite the dogs and feed on them when the dogs have been treated with the flea medication.

Best of luck.

• It sounds like you need to pick a 2-3 hour window and get the whole house cleaned. Get all linens into the wash (bedding, curtains, etc) and wash the dog the same day. After you bath the dog, put a topical flea oitment on him. Make sure to purchase it from the vet as the over-the-counter ones do not work. Once everything is cleaned and your dog is properly treated, you should be ok.

Luckily you don't have carpets, so there is no need for a rug cleaning. As an owner of 3 dogs all I can say is always try to prevent by treating the dog prior so that there is no chance of bringing those little critters in the house. It is much more difficult to treat once they are in.

Best of luck to you.

• Who cares girl... you're hot!! Nah, you should just use Frontline. Only, it sounds like you've been washing him a lot, so you have to let your pup regenerate the oils in his skin needed to help the medication spread throughout his body. Don't use that knock-off brand, I've heard bad things and wouldn't want you to harm your little guy for a matter of $2.... Anyway, good luck to you hotty...

• get a flea bomb and bomb your place, you and the dog will just have to leave a few for a few hours. My cat had fleas when she was younger and we had to bomb the place and it took care of everything. I gave her a flea bath that night after we bombed and haven't had a problem since

• To really get rid of fleas, you have to disrupt their life cycle. Fleas thrive in moist, humid environments--that's why they're a much bigger problem in the summer than in winter.

http://dogtime.com/flea-control.html