Mattress pad for a dorm room?

I'm staying in a residence hall next year. I know i'll need some type of cover for the mattress, but I'm wondering if I should invest in a nice comfy mattress pad. I also don't want to spend a fortune either (i am a college student after all :) ) Does anyone have experience or any help on how important these are? Thank you!

Comments

• This is an area to spend a little money on. The cheapest options are egg crate type foam (they aren't terribly supportive but are nice if you stack 2 or 3) or quilted toppers (they don't do a thing). Memory foam and thicker foam pads are mid priced and can be nice. More expensive are down, fake down, and fluffy wool. Make sure to look outside the "college stuff" sections and a twin or a full size mattress pad will fit on Twin XL beds. Mattress pads are squishy and it won't slide once you get sheets over it.

Look for sales and use coupons, mine is from Bed Bath Beyond, is down and I paid $70 for it. It's the best mattress pad out of all my friends. I got a full so I could still use it on my bed at home.

• This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Mattress pad for a dorm room?

I'm staying in a residence hall next year. I know i'll need some type of cover for the mattress, but I'm wondering if I should invest in a nice comfy mattress pad. I also don't want to spend a fortune either (i am a college student after all :) ) Does anyone have experience or any...

• Good Gracious, you need a mattress pad! Those mattresses they have in dorms are the same ones used in prison (no joke).

I would definitely invest in (at the very very least) a $10 egg crate pad. Unfortunately, dorm beds are classified as extra-long twin size beds and companies don't really make mattress pads to fit that. So you will have to buy a queen size egg crate pad and cut it.

But if you do want to do a little investing, which I highly highly suggest, buy a memory foam of feather topper. It makes sleeping on the bed 100% better. You can generally get them on overstock.com for around $80.

Plus, when you have a really comfy bed and no one else does, everyone wants to hang out with you on your bed :) It makes all the difference in having a bunk mate.

• My advice is to buy a mattress pad but not much other furniture. I always advise students to move in, meet your roommate, and check out the conditions of the dorm first. Don't bring too much, except necessary clothes and a poster or two, computer, and other necessary items. Why? You may bring something and your roommate may bring the same thing as well. Then you will have two of each and it will only take up space in your room. If you wait second semester you can get a better understanding of what's needed and the overall condition of the dorm room.

• Best Mattress Topper For College

• The mattress pad is necessary mainly for hygienic reasons. The mattresses are generally used and the mattress pad is to provide you cleanliness, as well as to protect you from dust mites and allergens and there is a little bit of pad to help a bit in comfort but not much. The mattress topper is for comforter. Keep this in mind, a memory foam topper has to go on top of a mattress pad because memory foam needs body heat in order to soften it otherwise it stays hard defeating its purpose so put in on top of the pad under the sheet or just get the foam toppers.

• I'd go for a memory foam pad, or pillow topper. Nothing like a nice night's sleep.

• Dooo it. I waited until my second year in a residence hall to get one, and I definitely regret not buying one sooner... you'll likely be having enough trouble sleeping from all the noise, anyway (unless you get some ear plugs, anyway - another definite recommendation), so why go uncomfortable on top of everything else?