is "cheesecake" a pie or a cake?

is "cheesecake" a pie or a cake? google was no help

Comments

• Whether cheesecake should be classified as a cake, a custard, a torte, or something else is a matter of debate.

The early Greeks, from whom the form originates, considered it a cake. Some modern authors point to the presence of many eggs, the sole source of leavening, as proof that it is a torte. Still others claim that the separate crust, the soft filling, and the absence of flour prove that it is a custard pie

• OFFICIALLY IT IS NEITHER, IT IS CLASSIFIEDS IN IT'S OWN SECTION! I looked it up and found it's officially it's own "cheesecake".

However it is much closer to a pie than a cake. The name has nothing to do with it whatsoever.

Think of a pumpkin pie or lemon pie. Looks just like a cheesecake.

When you get right down to it-

* A cake is made out of a bread-like material, rises when it is baked, and lacks a crust.

* A pie has some kind of filling, has a crust, and stays the same level when it bakes.

Those are the official definitions of both.

A cheesecake fills all the quota for a pie and not one for a cake.

• Neither. Cheesecake is its own category. It's closer to cake, although it tastes more like pie, but it is neither cake nor pie.

• it looks more like a pie but its called a cake so i would go with cake just to be safe

• Pie, even though it has the word cake in it. Do you "cook" cookies? No you bake them. So the name doesn't always match.

• Since Cheesecake has the word cake in it, I would say it is cake.

• I make my chocolate comma cakes. I start up with a mix and straight away greater on the recipe via experimenting with greater effective components and toppings, and that they are luscious! i'm no longer a large cookie baker, yet i like to seek around diverse bakeries at holiday cases to discover the yummiest! :)

• It's not a pie, because pies have like a fruit filling. And it's not a cake because your not frosting it up or using cake batter..

• actually its considered a CUSTARD. and it is baked in a pie plate therefore it is a pie/custard. its called a cheesecake because cheesepie just sounds wierd.

I

• I will say its a cake. It's my favorite cake! :D