Present tense or past tense?

I'm trying to write a story .. novel, whatever it turns out to be.

But I can't decide on whether I want present tense or past tense.

I think I have this idea about past tense being the most "correct" tense so I try to stick to that, but it comes out clumsy and I always end up writing present tense in the end (so that a paragraph starts with past tense but usually ends with present tense). It's really confusing :-P

So now. Tell me what you prefer and what are the pros and cons of both present and past tense?

Comments

• I'm currently writing a novel too and I wish you luck with yours :) When I read I notice the tense depends a lot on the point of view of the story. If the narration is first person then present tense will work out better but you could still use past tense. Is the story a flashback or memoir type of thing? Like a "once upon a time" because then you have to use past tense. I think third person omniscient would work alright for present tense or if you make your story like a series of journal entries? I don't know get creative with it and good luck!

P.S. let me just say that I very much prefer past tense, not because it's "right" but it flows smoother for me. I can build suspense, use foreshadowing easier, and my adjectives just seem to flow better that way. But use whatever goes better with the way you set up your novel and whatever feels most comfortable for you.

• Present tense gives a sense of immediacy. It feels to the reader like the events are happening right now and it draws him or her into the story. It's therefore good for thrillers and dramatic stories.

Be careful, though, it can be a little wearing. And if you use first person present tense, that gives away the fact that your narrator, if he or she undergoes any dangerous episodes in the novel, must survive them.

Consistency is key. Whatever you choose, make sure you stick to it all the way through.

• Present tense usually comes out sounding clunky and awkward because almost nothing is written in present tense. If it is, it's usually to build the mood. If you tell your friend about your weekend, you tell it in the past tense. I've seen present used to heighten the intensity of a specific moment, but it doesn't really work in my opinion. Anyway, if you're having trouble sticking to one tense, it's not unusual. That's what editing is for!

• I know many people prefer the past tense, but I prefer the present. I find it easier to write in the present tense.

• With past tense, you can hint at what's going to happen later in the story to build suspense.