How do I defragment my computer?

Can anyone please help me and tell me how to defragment my computer?

Comments

• 1. click start

2. click on all programs

3. click on accessories

4. click on system tools

5. click on disk defragmenter

Hope this helps

• You can go to Start>Accessories>System Tools>Diskdefrag. Note that if you plan to usr the built in defragger, you need atleast 15% free space, have to turn off background programs, else the defrag will not start/complete efficiently. Also if you are running Vista, it lacks a GUI and defrags at specified intervals very slowly. IMO the easiest way is to get Diskeeper09 which is automatic and once installed do the job in the background without needing any manual intervention. You can go about your normal PC work without any hassles even when it works. It defrags even if you have less than 15% free space and is much faster.

Here is the trial version

http://www.diskeeper.com/defrag.aspx

• Before you even start, why do you think you have to? Defragmenting isn't something you need to do unless the drive is pretty fragmented. some drives need defragging every week, some can go years without it. As with all things relating to computers, don't fix it unless it's broken. People like me make a lot of money from people who "fix" things in their computers that don't need fixing. I'd rather keep you from breaking something than make a few more dollars.

(A completely fragmented drive will still work fine, it'll just load programs a little slower. If it's fragmented less than 25%, you'll never notice the difference after defragging - which can take hours.)

• Win

Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Defragment Now

this is the default windows defragmenter, which is VERY slow and buggy and usually crashes when you try to defragment multiple drives... I recommend Diskeeper Lite from Diskeeper Corp. Its free, and has a lot of extra features (such as detailed views of the anatomy of your hard drive) and it tells you when you should defragment and EXACTLY how much performance you gain.

but for most apple model computers you don't need to because the way the OS saves data either prevents or automatically repairs defragmentation.

http://www.diskeeper.com/

• Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Disk Defragmenter

• Great question Katie.I have been trying to defragment my laptop and could not remember how.Now I know! Just did it and schedualed defrag times.Thanks to all.

• Download Defraggler.

• What operating system are you running? Windows XP?

• F1 should bring up your help files. It has the steps.