Do deer whistles actually repel deer?

I've seen these whistles you attach to your car that whistle as your drive. They're advertised to omit a sound that will repel deer as your drive.

1. Do they actually work?

2. Do they affect dogs in the area?

Comments

• I was given some by a friend but I doubt they work. Many of these things like UltraSound, seem plausible but when used don't work. Let us say that the deer hears the sound of these. Does the deer find it life threatening? Probably not, till it gets squished and then it is too late. Since the deer is squished it can't tell the next deer that the sound is fatal so it gets squished and so on. I've hit a deer and it is a pain. My advice, at dusk or dawn go slowly and be watchful. In my case I was watching my neighbors look at something instead of looking for the deer they were watching. 3000 bucks of damage from the buck. And I was going so slow no damage to the buck. I saw him 2 days later, he was magnificent.

• What they are designed to do is warn the deer that something is approaching and then they may get out of the way. The whistle is heard further than the sound of tires or engines and yes dogs can also hear them. Do they work? Sometimes.

• I have had two on my van for the last 80,000 miles. So far, the only deer I have seen are leaving the road right away. Whether they had already crossed the road or not I can not say. Only that they were leaving the roadway. I still watch for the tinny point of light well up ahead when the headlights reflect an animals eye/eyes.

• I have heard some users claim they work while others claim they do not work.