Do you consider yourself a fundamentalist or a secularist?

I'm with JFK in supporting the seperation of religion and the state. So are these secular muslims in Turkey:

The fight between the fundie right and secular left is worldwide.

ISTANBUL, Turkey - At least 700,000 people marched Sunday in a massive protest against the possible election of an observant Muslim as president, a conflict that is pitting Turkey's religiously oriented ruling party against the deeply secular military and civilian establishment.

Many, including powerful generals, fear Gul would use the presidency — a post with veto power over legislation — to assist his ally, Erdogan, in chipping away at the separation of state and religion.

"This government is the enemy of Ataturk," said 63-year-old Ahmet Yurdakul, a retired government employee among the demonstrators on Sunday. "It wants to drag Turkey to the dark ages."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070429/ap_on_re_mi_ea...

Comments

• If you aren't Christian, you are only a "heathen" to Christians...you do not call yourself a heathen. To call yourself secular implies a religious basis to both labels

• You're almost right. It's not "secularism" as such--its anyone, including highly religious people--who respect their fellow human beings and their right to find God in their own way. Or not--that's their choice.

Its all decent human beings against groups of religious fanatics that want nothing but power and to hurt andhate their fellows. The labels don't matter-whether you're Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Jewish, Buddhist, Jain, Sikh, etc. Decent people are decent people and fanatics are fanatics.

And in a world with such terrible destructive weapons in it, the fanatics are right about one thing: its us or them. There can be no compromise.

• In the US,being secular does not automatically mean that you are left wing. That's left speak using those terms. There are many people on the right who are secular as well.

• Secular. Atheist. Have been ever since I got thrown out of Sunday school for "asking too many questions."

~X~

• There is a difference between being faithful and being a governor; while one aspect should (I repeat SHOULD) inform the other, there's no guarantee that everyone will be governed with equality.

That is the biggest problem with theocracies, in my opinion: Too often, their mandate is provided by an earthly perversion of the ideals of their faith. That leads to wars, persecution, murder...

• Independent.

• "It wants to drag Turkey to the dark ages."

Come here to America we are already there