Magical creatures?

Where did their names come from?

Who was the first one think them up and to create them?

How did they come into existence as we know them today?

We pick up books to read them and they talk about magical creatures who was the very very first one to think them up to create them and to give them a name?

Comments

• I believe that they are based on real creatures, and through

peoples inability, to explain them, or through fear for them, they made up stories, at times freightening, to justfy these

stories. others heard these stories, and they continued, adding their own version, or creating new, what we call Folklore.

• I've read a lot on the subject, and I've concluded that most magical creatures are based on real encounters with real animals that most people know about today. For example, some have connected the myth of the dragon to an instance in which an English soldier brought an Egyptian crocodile home, and it escaped and ate several people. This story could have become exaggerated to the point where the crocodile had fiery breath and wings, but the people of the British Isles had no clue about what really happened since they never saw a croc before. I don't know that any one person named all the magical creatures, rather I think that numerous myths occurred at different times in different places, and gradually came to be well known through stories and legends.

• fairytale?