astronomy help?

decide whether the discovery should be considered reasonable or surprising.

A solar system has several planets similar in composition to the jovian planets of our solar system but similar in mass to the terrestrial planets of our solar system.

Comments

• Reasonable, the Universe is massive, I wouldn't doubt that there are terrestrial planets larger than our Sun.

• The jovian planets, Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune and Uranus, are massive but have low density since much of their composition is hydrogen in various forms. Terrestial planets such as earth and mars have high density with their metal cores and rocky outter composition, but are nowhere as massive as the jovian planets since their volume is relatively smaller. If several planets are discovered revolving around another star and the planets are similar in composition to our jovian planets, then they have an icy center with various forms of hydrogen, liquid, gas and metal, making up the majority of the volume. At the same time, if they are similar in mass to our terrestial planets, these newly discovered planets have a low mass

This would be suprising since it is the large mass of the jovian planets that provides them with sufficient gravity to hold on so much hydrogen that is in liquid or gaseous form. It is the equilibrium between gravity and gas pressure that enables such large gaseous bodies to stay together.

If the new solar system's planets have a low mass similar to our terrestial planets, it is unlikely they would have sufficient gravity to hold a liquid-gaseous-metalic hydrogen spherical structure together for any length of time.

• I would say it is surprising - the jovian planets have a lot of hydrogen that would not be very stable in a planet the size of earth - there simply wouldn't be enough gravity to hold the gases in place for very long - the closer to the sun, the less long lived the planet -

• A few years back it would be a surprise, but they are finding planetary systems all the time now. I would be surprised the to find small gaseous planets close in to a star.

• Reasonable, of all the solar systems in the universe no one should be surprised at what we find.

• At this stage of our technology, it would be surprising. We can spot very large planets around somewhat small stars because the large planet's orbit is making the star appearing to 'wobble.'

For such small-massed worlds to affect a star enough for us to see the wobble is not reasonable.

• i would find that surprising due to the lack of gravity to hold the smaller gas planets together.

• If you are up on the current theories of parallel universes, it may be considered as surprisingly reasonable.

• It is surprising. but all the things are really happening so reasonable toooooo

• it could be,it was discovered that there are many other galaxies,so there may be some simlarities