Do i need a passport book or card or both??!!?!?

Im going to mexico this summer and do not have a passport as this is my first time going out of the country. i started applying for one online and am not sure if i need a passport booklet or a passport card or both of them. right now i have neither.. im not flying into the country though, im flying to california and staying there and driving to mexico to visit for a few days. thanks!!

Comments

• in order to go to mexico (driving) you need either the book or the card... not both. some ppl get both, just in case. i would recommend whatever works best for what you predict your travel will be like.

both don't expire for 10 years... so you have to think about where you plan to go in the next ten years

personally, i got the book because i plan on flying to europe within the next ten years and can also use it to go to mexico/canada. since i have the book, i won't need to card

the card is nice b/c it can fit in your wallet, but that's about it... it would be the cheaper thing to get if you only planned on traveling to mexico by driving only

• You can use either the passport card or the book form for the specific trip you're looking at, but I would get the passport book since it allows you to do a lot more. The passport card can't be used for all international travel; it's more of a convenience for people that do a lot of land border crossings with Mexico or Canada.

• GerdP: international places that have necessary identification standards, people who you may carry your passport with you in any respect cases, which at the instant are not Mexico or Canada or Caribbean international locations do no longer know a passport card nor understand what that's that in the event that they have been to work out one. The requirement is to hold a passport e book, in case you do no longer choose to hold your passport e book for concern of robbery then that's extra suitable to hold a image replica of the photograph internet site of your passport e book no longer a passport card. This usually does no longer even fulfill the requirement yet does purchase you it sluggish with the intention to offer your actual passport e book.

• A a passport card can be used only for land travel within North American and sea travel in the Caribbean region. A passport book can be used to fly internationally anywhere in the world as well as for land travel to Mexico and Canada, and sea travel too. You may use a passport card to travel by land to Mexico if you like, but in the future, you would not be able to use it to fly. You can print out the forms on-line, but you must take your application in person to the nearest post office. It is currently taking about 6 weeks to get a passport.

• after jun 2009 you will need one to get into or out of Mexico

even if you are driving, walking, or flying

also note if you are driving a rental a car the rental agency will not

let you drive the car in Mexico

you would have to park it on the US side of the border