How do I resize a photo in Gimp?

I took a picture that needs to be 2x2.5. How do I resize that in Gimp or does Picasa 3 have that option? Even if you just know how to do it in Photoshop, I can still follow those directions with gimp.

Comments

• You don't need to rescale the image - in fact if you do that in GIMP or in Photoshop, that's a classic beginner mistake.

Resizing, or resampling images in an image editor always degrades the quality of the image. So you have to be careful not to do that.

What you need to do is provide the people who are doing the printing with the full size image as it came out of your camera, and tell them the size you want and how you want it cropped.

If you are doing the printing yourself, in GIMP first you need to crop the image to the correct aspect ratio, so open your image, then click the crop tool (looks like a knife icon). Then in the tool options select the fixed aspect ratio option, then in the box underneath type 2:2.5

Click and drag your crop tool over the image until you get the crop you desire, hit Enter to accept the crop.

Now to resize (taking special care NOT to resample the image), simply click Image > Print Size > Select inches for your units. Type in your size in inches for the width and height. GIMP will automatically calculate the optimum resolution (should be 200ppi or more for optimal quality). Click OK.

If the resolution GIMP calculates is less than 200dpi, then it won't print so well. 200 or above is best. If it's too low, there isn't much you can do. You'll need to get your hands on a higher resolution image to get a decent print.

Now save your image using File > Export, give your file a new name (so as not to overwrite the original image) and choose jpg, or TIF or whatever format you need, hit Export, and choose the maximum quality setting (if jpg).

Then print it.

You can also do it the way ☥♡☮ told you, but if you do you must remember not to overwrite the original image file, because if you do, you won't ever get the quality back. If you do it my way - the quality is not affected at all, just the crop would be saved. But again you should always remember not to overwrite the original images when you do an edit in GIMP - once edited and saved, the results are permanent.

• The tool for resize in Gimp is SCALE.