Honda Civic Blower Motor Issue?

I have a 2003 Honda Civic EX (2 door). The blower for the AC/heat no longer works- when I turn on the fan, I get nothing. Doesn't matter if the fan or AC/heat is on any setting, it doesn't work no matter what. It all quit working at once. I tried diagnosing the problem and was unsuccessful. Google searches gave me suggestions for what could be wrong if certain things were happening, but none of the quick fixes applied. If you have any experience with this system, please help me out! The following are the steps I took to diagnose the problem, and the results:

1. Checked for blown fuses. Fuses for the system checked out fine. (my brother did this step)

2. Checked for voltage where the blower motor connects to the car. 12V are present when car is on.

3. Tested the blower motor itself using a power outlet and an old 13V adapter. The blower spun in what I am assuming to be the right way.

4. Tested resistance across various terminals in the blower motor resistor block. I got infinity on a lot of them but there was a resistance of 1500 ohms (i think that was it?) on at least one combination.

5. Tried testing the voltage on the blower motor connector while changing the fan level, got 12V the whole time.

My guess is the resistor block. But if this were the problem, why am I always getting 12V where the motor connects, and why doesn't it always run? When I plug the blower motor in and turn on the car, the blower motor appears to turn about once, and then it quits. Why wouldn't it constantly run at max power? I thought maybe then it could be an issue with the switches in the dash where the controls are. But I think I would take it to a mechanic if this were the issue. Is it worth replacing the resistors before taking it to a pro? It's something I could do by myself for a lot less $$.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Battery voltage is always present at the blower motor. The ground is provided by the resistor block. You need a blower transistor.

• You may have a foul blower motor. If the resister was unhealthy it could nonetheless work on excessive pace. Bang on the motor housing whilst you have it turned on excessive (key on) and notice if it jars it ample to working. If nothing occurs take the blower motor out and bench test it. Increase Auto has excellent offers on blower motors.

• You have a bad blower motor. If the resister was bad it would still work on high speed. Bang on the motor housing while you have it turned on high (key on) and see if it jars it enough to start working. If nothing happens take the blower motor out and bench test it. Advance Auto has good deals on blower motors.

• try the relay too they can cause that