How do you cook your Swiss Chard?

I bought some , have never had it EVER before and have heard it is really healthy... How do I make it? And what is the best way to make it? Ideas pretty please and Thank you very much!

Comments

• Cook it like Spinach.

You can take the leaves off the stems, and chop up the stems, and saute them with a little garlic until soft in some olive oil, then add a little wine or whatever, and the reserved leaves. Cover and cook them until tender. Season with what you like.

Seriously, thumbs down on this answer? Are you kidding me?

• Put a saute pan on medium heat with some olive oil. Saute some minced garlic. Cut the stems off the chard and wash it, shaking most of the water off. When the garlic is translucent ~ usually just a minute or so ~ put the damp chard in the pan and put a lid on, stirring a bit over the next few minutes, spreading the garlic & oil over it as it cooks down. Salt to taste. I have more experience with spinach than with chard, but I love how a huge pan full cooks down to just a serving or two. Also good with some slivered almonds sprinkled in after it's mostly cooked.

• Swiss Chard cooks very fast. When we cooked it in the restaurant we would put into a VERY hot pan with just a bit of oil and splash of water until it wilted then pull it off the heat, add a little salt and fresh lemon juice. Usually about a minute to cook.

• Mix it with other greens. Take a couple stalks of bok choy, arugula, spinach, chard, portabella mushrooms, diced scallions, and a diced purple potato and stir fry them together in grape seed oil. You can also add a little bit of soyrizo or some strips of tofu in.

Another thing you can do is steam it and then drape it over palak paneer or lentils dal and brown rice.

One other thing. You can grill a Portabella mushroom cap and put steamed chard on top it instead of lettuce. Put all between two whole wheat buns and put some horse-radish,

veganaise or tahini sauce on and make a burger out of it

with other toppings of your preference, i.e. tomatoes, organic ketckup, onions, mustard etc.

Edit- I forgot to add. If you're ging to sautee or stir fry strip the green or red leaves from the stems and the vein.. If you are going to steam just break off the bottom part.

• YUM Swiss Chard is one of my Fave Greens,

Wash well tends to be sandy.

Slice across leaves, cut off tough stems but the smaller ones slice up to cook too.

Put a small amount of water in a large pot, throw in leaves & steam until done. Doesn't take long almost a quick as spinach(a few seconds). When done drain*,

toss with salt,pepper, Olive oil (or butter).

*This broth can be saved for soup.

• I steam it, then smother in butter or olive oil and then vinegar. You can also lightly steam it then put some rice and spiced tomato sauce on each leaf, maybe some tofu if you like and roll them up, secure with toothpick, drizzle with olive oil and bake them. Yummer :p

For the most part, just cook it like spinach or beet greens, any green.

• I like mine steamed and a generous squeeze of lemon juice (fresh) on at the end. It is good for you, lots of iron. You can also shred it after washing (not the stems) and make a salad with sliced raw mushrooms and a pretty basic dressing, nothing creamy as creamy usually equals fat.