Vauxhall Astra 2007 Manual Car Gear?

Hi I got 2007 Astra 5 door hatchback diesel manual car with a 90k miles mileage. I now feel its hard to shift the gears and they are stiff.

I took it to the halfords and they say they will first change the gear cable and if it doesnt work have to change the gearbox :(

Any idea about the price of this gear cable? Even the gears are stiff i can manage the car but is it ok to drive this way

Cheers

Comments

• Don't take it to Halfords ffs!

Take it to a local garage where they know what they're doing, or if you're happy to pay a bit more (which you are if you're willing to use Halfrauds) then go to a Vauxhall dealer.

The problem could be as simple as a lack of lubrication in the gear linkage, or maybe a bit of damage in it. I very much doubt the gearbox needs replacing, but I'm sure Halfrauds will tell you it does.

• I am not a great fan of Hal fords. I would take it to a good independent garage, or failing that to a Vauxhall dealer for a second opinion (they might charge a few £ but they are the experts.... ) The car is not that old but it does have a high-ish mileage so I would spend a little to try and nail down the diagnosis since a re-built gearbox won't be cheap. Incidentally, has anyone checked the oil level in the gearbox ? Does your clutch work well - like no drag at rest ? May be that.

• Hi

It does sound like the cables are playing up, but if I wasn't a mechanic, then I would rather allow my 12 year old son to repair my car blind folded with a hammer and a hacksaw than take it to Halfords.

Apart from that, the cable replacement will cost around £150 all in. Oh yeah, Halfords, make that £350.

Very best regards

Geordie

• Car dont have cables for the linkage, the linkage on that are rods, find a garage, not a pushbike shop