Backpacking to Australia, Queensland (:?

Okay so I'm off to Brisbane to start off my trip and to stay with some family just to get settled in for a couple of weeks, then I plan to go up or down the coast to a backpackers were I could stay for a few weeks and do alot of diving and of course see the sites and attractions that they have etc. I was just wondering were the best place to go to dive?

I have looked at the Gold Coast and found a pretty cool backpackers place that looks welcoming 'Backpackers In Paradise'...Anybody heard of it?

Anyway.. I'm out there for three months and just wanted to know if there were and 'MUST DO'S' while I'm over there and if there were any great spots for diving?

Thanks in advance (:

Update:

Thankyou for all answers (:

Comments

• If you want some glorious diving, forget the Gold Coast and head north. Anywhere from the Whitsundays northwards is great, particularly if you go out to the Great Barrier Reef. The reef does not go as far south as the Gold Coast. The Gold Coast is OK if you like tourists and theme parks but if you want diving, forget it.

• I would definitely recommend going up the coast, northern Queensland is incredible and you'll have enough time to spend a week or two in the south as well with 3 months.

My absolute highlights of my trip were our 4x4 camping trip on Fraser Island and the 3day/3night sailing trip in the Whitsunday Islands. Both are a must do. There is a brilliant backpacker travel agent that you can find in almost every australian town, it is called "peterpans" and is bright yellow so you can't miss it. they offer great package deals to do these amazing trips at good prices.

The 4x4 trip is great, you are put into a group of people that all tend to be the same age and then given your own jeep and sent off onto Fraser Island, the worlds largest sand bar, you will visit some incredible freshwater lakes where the water is so blue and have some fun parties on the beach at night. It is great fun, just make sure you take enough beer/wine!

The Whitsunday islands are just incredible as well, so much so that after 4 months of travelling I went back there and found a job working on one of the boats there. You take 3 days and go off sailing round to the best beach in the world and do some amazing snorkelling in some of the coral cays. On some boats there is the opportunity to do scuba diving, but i'd hold out until you get to Cairns, as its probably a little better.

Cairns is a must visit town too, its full of backpackers so its great fun, and there are loads of things to do nearby, like bungee jumping and treks into the nearby rainforest.

You are so lucky, i'd love to go again!

• I adore Queensland, wish I lived there. The people are so friendly, the weather is great and the countryside is stunning. Anyways, Gold Coast is lovely - beautiful beaches, has theme parks, etc and some gorgeous countryside not too far away. But the best places are North of Brisbane - Cairns is simply awesome - so close to Port Douglas, Barrier Reef and the most amazing rainforrest you will see. You can also visit some beautiful islands for day trips (some can be expensive to stay overnight, but day trips by boat are pretty good). So yeah go to the Gold Coast by all means, but I recommend you go north, visit the Reef and some islands. Have fun!

• No familiar with the place you described. It is nearly always cheaper to book a place after you arrive, than to look up somewhere on the internet. Queensland is a buyer's market for tourists at the moment, because of the uncharacteristically high A$. You should be able to swing a few bargains on accomodation. If you like diving, try to get to the North of the state, Cairns or Innisfail. The Great Barrier Reef is way better diving than off the Gold Coast.

• If you wanna stay within the limits of Brisbane, Moreton Bay is for you. By doing just a little bit of research, tourists can find many opportunities among these islands for snorkeling and scuba diving. Renting a small boat and cruising around the bay is a wonderful way to discover out of the way beaches nestled into the sides of impossibly small islands.

• Well I think the Great Barrier Reef on the North-Eastern Coast in the Coral Sea.

I've never really been there to tell the truth, but I'm going next year and I always hear that it's amazing!

And maybe a place to visit while your here, Canberra, in ACT. I visited it with my school. For a week we went there and we did SO MUCH AMAZING stuff! As well as visiting the Sydney Opera House! :D

• Tourism Australia has got some great advise on their website. Worth having a look www.australia.com.

And from what I heard Queensland is backpackers' heaven so after you get there you can also go to the Information centre where you will get plenty of advise, maps and brochures

• North Stradbroke Island! Head to point lookout. They have some awesome beaches. Beautiful place. Great diving and surfing.

• It relies upon despite in case you're making plans on staying in dorm lodging in hostels, and how many activities you do, and how plenty alcohol you drink, yet i'd say you're able to desire to funds at around $50 each and each consistent with day. i'd inspect the Australia section on the Thorn Tree talk board, in case you do a seek there you will locate lots of folk asking approximately customary budgets and costs.