Does this diagram make sense?

This is my take on the inter-connections of modern music:

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/1193/evolutionofm...

Update:

Yeah, I kind of got the idea from School of Rock, but it's a lot different. I actually researched it, and some of the things it showed were completely wrong (British Invasion somehow led to Soul and Gospel)

Comments

• Hello there,

That is an industrious undertaking, trying to define the inter-relationships of modern music. I will leave the critic of the latter decades to those younger. The music of the earlier decades do have some problems. Your starting point seems just a little off (more than 3 influences), but quickly gets completely out of sync.

What we now call rockabilly was just the pioneers of rock. There were equal forces in the early stage of rock, but country and blues. Much of the earliest rock, is based on blues chord progressions. I do not see how boogie woogie music impacts the start of the rock era on your diagram. Yet it was an influence. You have a single country music starting category. I think Country Western is a better starting point and from that Country and Western separate. When your refer to folk music and hillbilly ethnic, I think you are confusing folk with blue grass. You have missed the connection between jazz and mainstream rock completely.

You have not made a connection between R&B and soul, yet there definitely was. I cannot imagine how psychedelic music was an outgrowth of soul. You also show psychedelic as an outgrowth of disco. That is at least chronologically wrong. The notion that psychedelic music was a combination of soul and disco, well that one alone boggles my mind.

Well, it was an industrious endeavor, far from accurate, but a good attempt. You need to do a lot of work on it yet. It is a long ways from accurate.

Frankly, I think you will never be able to quantify modern music into a simple flow chart. Musicians are influenced by all venues of music (and all venues of art) and incorporate those influences into their work. They steal from everyone, so to speak. So you would need to have arrows running back and forth from all aspects of music. Each venue has had some influence on all the others and all the others in turn have had some influence on that venue. Those sort of inter-dynamics just do not fit into simple clean flow charts.

Later,

• It seems rather superficial with only a surface understanding of musical history and genres.

Country did not begat folk. Rather the other way around, with bluegrass in there too.

Disco did NOT come straight from funk. It's just simplified rock with an exaggerated beat. I was around, I know this.

Scat (with a 'c' not a 'k'), came from jazz, not doo-wop (it predates it by decades).

You're missing plain "rock". Most rock sub-genres came from this. Psychedelic rock did not come from soul. Bubblegum is a sub-genre of pop, and predates glam rock quite a bit.

These are just the most egregious errors.

• Somewhat, though I don't believe that everything comes from R&B. I think classical is actually the source which breaks into all manner of music.

• Looks like that movie critic Gene Shalit cloned to that dude that used to show up @ sporting events.

• Im sorry to tell you that it doesn't make sence especially the country------------->rock

what the heck? hahahaha but is funny

• i dont know