How much do component prices drop over time?

I'm hoping to build a gaming rig, but I would need to save money for two months in order to afford it. Is there a reliable way to predict how much component prices would drop over time based on ongoing patterns? I'm not really looking for how much new components drop two months after their release, because I probably don't need components that are just being released. A formula or even a simplified metric would be great.

I'm sorry if that's a tall order to fill, but as long as I'm going to be researching what exactly I want in a rig, I want to be meticulous about all of the details I have control over.

Comments

• When components are replaced by newer models, generally.

• Hi

Well it depends, it is not always that the price of components will always drop, just a year back, price of RAM in here were more than double the cost it was.

4GB DDR3 Corsair costed Rs 4000/-

But now suddenly same thing costs Rs 2100/-

So, generally price of components goes down when their is tough competetion, like you see between AMD and Geforce.

ATI 5770 HAWK costed Rs 10,000/- but now it costs Rs 7500/-

It was because to give stiff competetion to Geforce cards like GTS 450 and GTX 460.

So, you cannot expect when price will go down, but they will go down over period of time when new technologies comes out.